1176 Type "SLAM/NUKE" mode for SSL??

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ian MacGregor

The tile pretty much says it all! Any ideas on how to get some sorta "slam" mode out of the SSL buss compressor? I'm going to have some fun experimenting with this myself, but I was wondering if anyone has any ideas. I know the A*l*a*n S*m*a*r*t version has this, right?

Ian

omg, that LSD Marshmellow llama is so completely fucked.

This was talked about on the last board, furthest the pondering got was adding the SSL talkback fet limiter to the quad clone, it was definitely decided additional circuitry would be the way to go as opposed to twisting whats currently on the gyraf board. I think there used to be a schem for the talkback limiter on the gyraf site if my memory serves me correctly.

dave

As Dave points out, the "crush" is an addition of the SSL 82B33 Talkback ALC to the original compressor circuit.

Schematic here:
http://www.gyraf.dk/schematics/SSL_82E33_Talkback.GIF

I think I would prefer this as a separate unit - not integral with the stereo compressor - as they are very different beasts.

Jakob E.

wtf.gif

...Heeeere... ... ...Aye... ... ...Aaaaaammmm!!!!

:green:

keef

Definitely as a standalone is my thought. I imagine matching FET's for stereo might be a bit of a pain, so simplest way to go would be mono. Shouldn't be too hard or too big of a project, though not the most generally useful one, either. If anyone lays out the boards, though, I'll build it.

Bear

When going for slam with the SSL-talkback-comp circuit, I figure you're going for pretty abuse, as people did with the Shure Levelock(sp?) , right ?

Peter

All fine, I should have used 'dirt' right away. :grin:

I used 'pretty abuse', too much of an indirect term probably - perhaps in an attempt to hide the fact that I'm not disliking (see, there he does that indirect formulating-thing again...) an unhealthy bit of smashing & crushing. :wink:

Bye,

Peter

I'll see about maybe cracking open and reverse engineering my Fostex MN-50, a 9 volt powered mini-mixer designed for mixing down portastudio type stuff (to mono), but with a really wonderfully smashed sounding one-knob compressor built in. Haven't tried the 1/4" mic input as a room mic input yet, ala Level Loc, but I see potential. Probably to silly to rebuild as a whole, since I got mine for like $40 NIB, but it sounds so cool that I'd like to know what it has going on, and I imagine whatever that is is pretty cheap.

Bear

Why didn't Alesis ask Fostex or Shure to design the 3630 for them ? :wink:

But serious, always interesting to hear what's inside that Fostex box.
Some simple a-few-discretes circuit ? A self-contained SSM-chip (too expensive probably for a 40 dollar box) ?

Let's all hold our breath and await the following episode "The Opening Of The MN-50" !

Peter

The diode clippers/comps in the Telefunken talkback modules (U274 & U374a) are pretty good at smashing. I luv them. They can be picked up for 70$ at vendors or evilbay. Sounds a lot fatter than the Shure :razz:

The BOSS LM-2 stompbox (uses a dbx VCA) is also a good smasher :green:

[quote author="clintrubber"]But serious, always interesting to hear what's inside that Fostex box.
Some simple a-few-discretes circuit ? A self-contained SSM-chip (too expensive probably for a 40 dollar box) ?
[/quote]

I think it's from the early 90's, probably cost more than I payed, but I got it off of ebay based on a couple mentions that it was pretty cool for something so cheap. It looks ridiculously Mickey Mouse, but once I put it on the insert on my drum machine, I was a convert. I would seriously use it on a drum bus on a real mix for that ultra-smashed lo-fi thing. But I like distorted lo-fi stuff.

Bear

Ive heard some friends talk about the fostex thing, silly looking, isnt it? If you ever trace it out, post up your findings.

dave

If this is something like the dbx MC6 i would recommend it too...
Smart little thingie, makes a good sound out of my electribe EM1!
And it was really cheap...and is fitted with 4580 opamps...not really as bad as i expected! More kinda cool :cool: ...

Back