new commercial cheap passive summing box

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
[quote author="Michael Krusch"]Does this box really have only 8 mono or 4 stereo inputs?
What's next? A Mixer with 1 input? :green:[/quote]
While less usable than 16 of course, I could well imagine they chose only 8 for now since most people will more likely have just that: around 8 DAW-outputs.
If they expanded to N*8, they'll probably don't mind to buy more of those external boxes either.
I guess they've just done some estimations: how likely is it that people with 8 outputs jump for a box with 16 ins right away ? How likely is it that people buy one 8-in and more later ? etc

Anyone wants to bet when Beh. shows up with something ?

And I thought I had already seen someone who had converted a Beh.-patchbay into a passive summer...

Bye,

Peter

[quote author="strangeandbouncy"]not a beh. patchbay, but I've converted some redundant holes of our SSL patchbay to be a passive mixer . . . . .

:green: ANdyP[/quote]
Right, it must have been here then (where else... :wink: ) and it must have been you ! :thumb:

As i'm very interested in passive summing, i read on several places that many engineers use a passive mixer with pre flavour (like the f*lcr*m + pre) only on the subgroups for a final 'analog touch'. I thought about building several 8x passive summers instead of one large myself to have the possibility to insert analogue subgroup effects and cascode the passive mixers before coming to the final stereo stage without additional ADDA processes...
I'm very interested what price they consider for the box...
I read they use an extern psu for that thing...how 'passive' is this one really???

Kind regards

Martin

[quote author="smallbutfine"]I read they use an extern psu for that thing...how 'passive' is this one really???

Kind regards

Martin[/quote]
As the HC-page shows the thing has its power supply even internally (I saw an IEC-mains-connector).
But then it still can be passive, just like the Pultec-EQ for instance which is considered a passive EQ since it's a passive network followed by gain-makeup.

Bye,

Peter

[quote author="NewYorkDave"]There was a time when 8 or 10 inputs was considered a "large" mixer. Famous records have been mixed on less than that![/quote]

Dave you remind me of a quote that Al kooper Told me
I remember when the first 8 track recorders came out. We were wondering what would we do with 4 extra tracks?

[quote author="NewYorkDave"]I made some of my best recordings with a 4-track 1/4" deck and an 8x2 mixer.

I use an 8-track machine now, but often I don't even use all eight.[/quote]
I feel what you mean, that VSR-880 sounds like crap :thumb:

But serious, for reasons not that unknown I still hold on to my trusty Marantz fourtracker as well. It still sounds mighty fine for what it is and it won't collect me any money anyway.

Latest posts

Back