What is the best DIY stereo Buss comp out there?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Purusha

I am seriously contemplating to dive into the DIY G4000 stereo compressor together with a few friends. I have a original Drawmer 1968 ME as my main stereo buss comp and would like to have another to complement it (drums and mix buss). Mostly doing metal and rock type of music.

Is there anything better than G4000 DIY option out there? I heard that the channel compressors in 4000 SSL series are even better, but I don't have any option to make some tests. Any clones for this channell strip version?

I have also a two channel 1176LN DIY version made by my friend. How do you upload the photos here?

[/img]

For the money & support I don't think you can beat it. I'm just started mine so we'll see :wink:

First, read as much as you can.

Correct me if I'm wrong but I think G = Gyraf = the big cheeze, AKA = the guy who started it all :thumb:

[quote author="Purusha"]How do you upload the photos here?[/quote]

You can't upload here, insted you have to have some web space and link the images form there to your post here

Welcome to the Lab!

On top of this page you can find the Meta-Meta link. There you can find what´s up in here. And don´t hesitate to try the search function. Tons of things have been discussed before. So don´t expect that everybody repeats his answers again and again. But help for problems is always around.

As for the mixbuss comp, go for the Gssl. This one rocks. Just do it. You can´t compare it to the Drawmer. Someone said around here: slow, slower, 1960. I don´t know if the 1968 is faster but for the 1960 it´s true. The Gssl is the exact opposite. Very tasty timeconstants and great auto mode.
:guinness:

Hi to all here, :grin:

I know, I promisse that I will do my best to search the forum. :thumb:

But still, I have to ask all who did the GSSL so far are there any samples still waiting on some hard disc tfor listening? I would really like to hear this famous compressor. I know that every second day somebody comes up with the same questions, but what can I do, that is life.

Here are the photos of my ESE 2176LN

2176.jpg

and more close up wiev

2176%20front.jpg

No, I bought it from a friend who is in the GSSL project together with me. Very expencive piece - 1800?

He made also a great stereo LA-2A and Pultec EQ. Hi end stuff.

:twisted: if you only use two screws for 19" use the BOTTOM holes :twisted:

btw, the GSSL is easy and cheap to build and a must have, go for it :thumb:

there's a short sample around here in the forum for a very good impression of the sound change on an 80's pop sample (FrankieGTH... ) for abing...sorry, no link right now, but it's there... :cool:

Pushura,

You want proof, check your record collection since about 1979. there is about a 50:50 chance that a record was done on an SSL I reckon! Most people would have used the mix comp, and quite possibly something else as well. Most places I mixed on a V series Neve, they had an SSL comp in the rack. I pretty much always used it, as it is so predictable in what it does, and such an "accepted" sound, especially to the Jerimiah Weasels(tm Mixerman!) You simply can't go wrong with one of these. Build two whilst your at it, and stick one on your drum bus. I even use one of mine with dBx2001 Class A vca;s on the lead vocal in a mix! Very simple to make, no complicated setting up procedure, Cheap(depending on meter and case, various options of vca from super clean to tough and punchy, and ShedLoads of hands on advice if you go wrong. Unbelievably simple to use, true stereo operation, so perfect matching both sides, - no fiddly set-up. Don't be seduced into thinking that they can't possibly sound good 'cos they're not discrete/got no transformers/Full of Chips. Believe me, they do sound great, fat as F@@K! There are plenty of other great mix compressors out there. I love the Massenberg, Maselec, Summit, EAR etc etc, but they will all cost you £2000-3000 at least, and you can;t build them! Also, the SSL is far more "universal" in what it can do, I prefer other thing for specific tasks, often using them WITH an SSL as well. I am sure that PRR's vari-mu sounds amazing too, One day I'll get round to building one!-but has certain limitations in my book. Firstly, I don't think there is a pcb, secondly, it uses much more dangerous voltages (true, there is Mains on SSL, but no HT), and will only drive -10 inputs as is. SSL is an ideal first project, but gives you truly world-class performance for a pittance!

Just my penniesworth!

Good luck!

ANdyP[/b]

strangeandbouncy,
You sound very experienced in your opinion. Thanks for sharing.

Do you have any opinions about the sidechain, cap types & most important - VCA's & how the different versions respond in this circuit? We're all kinda stuck using the 218x series.

I have tried That's 2150, 2151, 218x(cant remember, but lowest distortion version), DBX2001, 202c, and 202XT(actually in our SSL4000E). They are all great!. They all have the same action, with subtle differences. Of all the That's I have tried, I prefer the 2151's. If I didn;t have 2001's, I would love to have 218x. The 202c is awesome too, but a bit grainier and dirtier. I love the 2151's on my drum bus, they are clackier and punchier. I often use the 2001's on a lead vocal in the mix or over the mix. Truth is, you can;t really go wrong! Start with 2151's which are available immediately, and look for some vintage discretes for the future units you are BOUND to build! 218x's are awesome too btw. I just prefer a bit more crunch! you have to change the value of a couple of resistors to use either the 218x, and yet another pair for 2001's in order to correct the scaling for the vca's. if not, they wont compress enough, or will over compress, giving a negative slope - wicked effect btw!

I have found that I prefer them with the distortion trim pots tweeked off null a little bit to actually add a bit more distortion. There is not a lot of difference, but definately worth it. If this is the case, I'd go for the 2151 which benefits the most with this, especially on the drums. You could even use the higher distortion versions for even more!

As for caps types, I've never been that choosy, prefering only to get high temperature versions of whatever my local electronics shop has in stock. I know that some around here consider that to be an execreble crime, but hey? I find that there are differences between caps, but it depends where you use them in the circuit, and that introduces far too many variables for me! But this is a discussion for those with far more experience than me! Just build it with whatever takes your fancy, use it, get used to the sound, then try swapping some caps and see what YOU can tell, eh?

ANdyP

ps I wouldn't consider that you are "Stuck" with 218x's!

I have several of each on their way this week
2180 a,b,c
&
2181 a,b,c

You hit the nail on the head... What exactly do I need to change to make the unit work properly with these chips?

Also, out of the ones listed, which do you prefer. My main concerns are:
DRUM BUS & MAIN BUS.

I'll have most of my parts in this week & my concerns about the chips is weighing me down. :sad:

Please help me out.

@strangeandbouncy:
BTW there is a PCB layout available for PRR's vari-mu in stereo version as are photos of the building at Kent's site. As i know, he was the first one who actually built this thing. And from what i read about from people who did as well, it is definately a machine with a kind of magic.
link: http://www.conditionedresponse.com/DIY/C5/index.html - The story
http://www.conditionedresponse.com/DIY/C5/C5PCB.PDF - The PCB docs
:thumb:
Don't be afraid of high voltages (110/220 volt mains can kill you, too....).

the PRR varimu is a good device. it sounds wonderful for what it is! it's cheap too.

I built one and did a few mods to it.. adding a class A output to it also. Might get around to the discrete version of it sometime this year too..

Started gathering the parts for a pair of the federal limiters. those should be NICE too.

definately got bitten by the valve bug hard.

Latest posts

Back