building microphone bodies

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mwikkid

i've got parts on the way and i plan to soon build some ribbon mics. the toughest thing i'm having to figure out is what to house them in. i'd like them to look reasonably professional.

i'm open to suggestions. i've been racking my brain for days and haven't come up with anything i consider satisfactory.

thanks!

depends on what you're using for a ribbon motor, as that will determine you materials choice(dimensions, orientation of mounts, etc.)

Regards

ju

One of my first prototypes was just an aluminum tube with the perforated metal screwed directly onto it. I ran a threaded bolt right through the perf metal, the body, and the motor assembly to hold it all in place. This was a perfect place to bend a piece of steel to use as a mount. One more threaded bolt through the top of the perf metal and the motor, and one bolt through the bottom to hold in the transformer.

MicBody3.jpg

Here is what I did on my most recent project...

MicBody1.jpg

MicBody2.jpg

A. Top screen (perforated metal)
B. Head Screen (perforated metal)
C. Basket. Soldered together with silver solder & brass stock
D. Tube - slightly smaller than the head basket so basket screws into tube.
E. Bottom cap. Pipe cap from a hardware store.

[quote author="mwikkid"]i've got parts on the way and i plan to soon build some ribbon mics. the toughest thing i'm having to figure out is what to house them in. [/quote]

Lucky you! For me the motor is still the toughest. The body is piece of cake. As Fum has already noticed, it will depend on your motor construction.

Look and study different microphone bodies and see how you can accomodate them to your ribbon. If you are using a bigger ribbon, just make the "window" longer.

plumbing pipe ... brass screen // and a huge hand grinder (not recommended .. lol .. use a dremmel)

and i used round platic from a hilton tray as a base and top

the one on the right is a different animal .. hehe ..

000_0442.JPG

strong magnets good MRC and some other elements you can search for .. ;) .. here is your start

hope this helps
ts

Toobie - I like the look of that screen. I've been using mostly perfmetal but it wouild be awesome to know the part # / supplier of that screen.

Latest posts

Back