speaking of audix mic pre's...

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ronzy

Thinking about sacrificing a 35104 to the diy gods by rippin' out the 5534 & slappin' in a ba183 type gain block. As a new guy to the forum, I'd love the blessing from you good guys at prodigy before I embark and botch things up for the whole diy community to see !!! :)

Ronzy

Peter, you are soooo right. But not as tight as a V*R*! Should'nt be that much of a problem,but concerning the sound.....? I guess I'll see.

Ronzy

Don't you need to change a good deal of the surrounding circuitry as well? I'm neither a N*ve expert nor do I know the pre you are talking about but those N*eve schematics I have seen show amps that are pretty different from the voltage feedback opamps like the 5534... Mostly single-ended current feedback, no?

Samuel

That's why I need the blessing of the DIY Godz :wink:

Here's my thought process:
1- It rubs me wrong that the WHOLE module is discreet EXCEPT for the mic amp :evil:
2- The mic gain block could/should sound much better.
3- Audix & Neve both run off of a single +24v supply.
4- I have the Guinea pigs.
5- I only need the 1st gain block of the ba board. Not the output driver.
6- I'll be able to keep several traces/pads from the audix to implement the new circuit and most likely have some unused realestate on the motherboard that's useable.
7- I'll make sure that I can put the 5534 back.
8- Most likely not the only thing I'll try.

Ronzy

Hey Samuel, I do. They're both in threads somewhere,and I'll attach the links when I get to work.

Ronzy

have you had time to work on your project?
Ive been doing some searching on these preamps 35104 since i now have two that need racked. everyone needs to know (especially me) whats the difference between these and 35102? ive noticed some differences like r158. my r158 is empty. some other caps an transistors are not there or in different spots.
same IC, transformers and eq presets though

is the pinout the same as 35102?
ive also heard that the preamp runs in class A until you really crank up the gain.
is that possible?

are you planning on redesigning the front end? You'll probably need to. There is probably a bit of circuitry in there to compensate for the chip which you might not need for a 338 and there might be some circuitry needed to compensate for the 338 that is not there. I would expect to have to change caps and other stuff from swapping one chip to another, so...

time to start comparing schematics.

dave

I think 35104 is just a BBC spec 35102, but don't quote me on that. It could be hearsay. I glanced at a 35102 schematic once and it looked like the IC was only switched in for extra gain, above 50 or 60dB or something. But again, I could be wrong. I'll double check this next time I remember. Also, while we're on the subject, allow me to debunk the myth that an Audix 35102 is the same as a Neve (3)3114. NO WAY! The overall approach and end goal are the same (these two companies were competing for the same jobs, afterall), but the Audix circuit, both as a whole and considering each stage individually, is a different beast. The iron is different too... and there's no high current output stage to drive an output transformer. Which begs the question, why not add the 283AM stage with gapped transformer while you're at it? :wink:

Anyway, back to the original question. I think you'd be better off replacing the 5534 with another of the input amp stages Audix already uses in there. There's still going to be changes w/regards to feedback networks and gain structure (yes, you're going to have to hack at the sensitivity switch, no doubt), but I'd bet it'll be less than needed if you put a Neve 283AV amp stage instead. Makes a lot more sense to me.

[quote author="ronzy"]Thinking about sacrificing a 35104 to the diy gods by rippin' out the 5534 & slappin' in a ba183 type gain block. As a new guy to the forum, I'd love the blessing from you good guys at prodigy before I embark and botch things up for the whole diy community to see !!! :)

Ronzy[/quote]

"rippin' out" and "slappin' in" - yes, that is how things are done :roll:

Seriously, the 5534 and the BA183 are not "drop in replacements" for each other. Very different devices - you do understand that, right? Now while it possible to rework the 35104 to accommodate the BA183, if you are astute enough to do that, you would not have asked the question here in the first place.

You're better off leaving the 5534 in there, it is doing a very good job and the BA183 most likely won't make the 35104 sound any better.

soundguy said:
are you planning on redesigning the front end?  You'll probably need to.  There is probably a bit of circuitry in there to compensate for the chip which you might not need for a 338 and there might be some circuitry needed to compensate for the 338 that is not there.  I would expect to have to change caps and other stuff from swapping one chip to another, so...

time to start comparing schematics.

dave

Good afternoon,
I'm new here. I live in Brazil.
Sorry to relive this theme, after many years.
I have 08 Audix 35104.
I have not yet found his pinning, or schematic.
I wonder if the pinout is the same as the 35102?
I also have Audix 35101. This has the different pinout of 35104.
Anyone who can help me, thank you in advance.
Cheers.

sorry the English..

Latest posts

Back