Update on A.P.I. 312 project (pics included)

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jeroddumas

Here is an update on my 312 project. Waiting on transfo and switches to complete. Fired it up without the iron though and it sounds fantastic. Thanks DUKA for the pcb layout.

IM000216.jpg

IM000215.jpg

IM000214.jpg

IM000213.jpg

I'm going to use the beyers from the groupbuy on this one. And cap coupled output.

jeroddumas.... you're going to have to brush up on your photographic chops if you want us to heap praise upon your creation, but it's looking solid through the murk... :thumb:

peter

I don't know if this is warranted or not....but i would be a little iffy about API's view of 'how' you cloning the 312... i mean... your case says API 312 on it...yet it's a custom pcb? is that legal?
Just wondering...?

Sorry for the bad pics, I only have a cheap digital camera. I don't think it is illegal as I am not selling this. It is for my private use only. You are correct I reused a behringer rack case. Any tips on the picture taking???

you guys with the legal stuff always crack me up.
yeah, they have a special forces door to door recon outfit that checks for decals! :razz:
c'mon!
:grin:
give
:razz:
me :grin:
a :razz:
break :grin:
please! :razz:

Used behringer stuff is often cheaper than an empty rack case.

And you get 4 xlr's with that !

[quote author="CJ"]yeah, they have a special forces door to door recon outfit that checks for decals![/quote]A subdivision of the "Pillow Tag Police".

:razz: :razz: :razz:
Charlie

Hey...I wouldn't joke about the pillow tag police....it's possible. When I was 13 I got a ticket for riding my bicycle on the sidewalk. The cops turned on their lights and everything.

[quote author="CJ"]you guys with the legal stuff always crack me up.
yeah, they have a special forces door to door recon outfit that checks for decals! :razz:
c'mon!
give
:razz:
me :grin:
a :razz:
break :grin:
please! :razz:[/quote]

No....but they do have lawyers? :idea:
By us guys...do you mean...guys that have legitimate questions?

In fact music electronic industries can profit much from us.
Reverse engineering is a pretty common thing in IT and electronics business, (and was since the beginning...).
You have to study it at the college/university courses if you wanna become a pro.
Maybe Bob Moog was the last one who could say that he only analyzed ONE circuit for his work in the early beginnings that he doesn't design himself ...
And we save them (commercial developers) alot of work with analysing and testing concepts and stuff internationally and without business competition in a very open and friendly way uncommon or maybe impossible for the 'big companies'. :grin:
(It seems like Marsh*ll rebuild their mics kind of according to work done here and elsewhere, they even talked about that freely :shock: , sometimes i wonder if Gus probably has mail with job offers in his mailbox from time to time?)
Even concepts of passive mixers find the way into the commercial world (new SMpr*??? :shock: )
What would be the advantage in busting a single engineer for a frontpanel? :razz: :razz: :razz:
And this one is very very nice indeed... :guinness: :thumb:

Think of us as a kind of knowledge temple and academy (sometimes reminding me of the ole antique greek schools... :roll: ) and this fun parts (panels buttons and decals :cool: ) are needed for the motivation.

Man, i saw a post in a german forum, where one of the members twisted out DON'T SAY THE NAMES OF THE UNITS!!! :roll: because somebody proudly talked about doing three of the groupdiy projects...
OK, nobody wants to rip off actual stuff commercially.
(I hope so...)
Try to buy a new API 312, he?
So i don't think this is a prob anyway...:grin:

Kind regards

Martin

CJ: :green: :thumb:
("psst, they knock on my door...black masked and wearing kevlar...i have to scrub this f*ckin decals down and delete all gear p*rn from my computer immediately before they hit me with the gas bombs !!!!" Looking out the window: " Oh no, it's even worse! It's a business lawyer!!! Please shoot me quickly..." :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: )

Oh great debate. Well I use this stuff in my own home studio. Which noone else uses except for a couple of clients. I agree with all, I see no harm in me labeling API 312 on the front. This is for identity purposes anyways. True api, no, it will uses beyer transfos on input and couple couple output. What is important is the sound, not the label. :green:

[quote author="jeroddumas"] Any tips on the picture taking???[/quote]

Take your pictures in plenty of light. Switch all the lights on in your room.

Turn your flash off. They are crap at short distances unless you have a good one.

Hold your camera very steadily when shooting. For close-up shots of less than ~ 1 foot, use your "macro" or "close-up" mode on your camera if it has one.

For cheap cameras though, the most important thing is to get enough light into it.

Latest posts

Back