Calrec EQ PCB clean up?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aharon

As you know I'm new to the forum and I have decided on 3 projects SSL Comp,Calrec EQ and G9 Pre.
I'm doing one at a time but thinking ahead I was going over the Calrec PCB and some pads are too close for comfort if I try to make it myself.
I noticed that the SSL PCB was cleaned up and a few pads shaved down etc for more tolerance.
Would it be possible to do the same for the Calrec and if yes how do I go about it?What's the best way?.
Thanks in advance
Aharon

I'll probably end up buying a board but how do you guys deal with such close tolerances when making PCBs?
Do you scrape with a knife when necessary etc?.
Thanks
Aharon

I believe gerber files are available for all those projects. You could always import them into layout software and edit them there.

I usually have the problem of traces being to thin to etch at home. The easy fix for that would be to use a sharpie to fatten them up on the board.

[quote author="ChumpitO"]I believe gerber files are available for all those projects. You could always import them into layout software and edit them there.

I usually have the problem of traces being to thin to etch at home. The easy fix for that would be to use a sharpie to fatten them up on the board.[/quote]

Thanks ChumpitO,I'll see what can I do with that.
Thanks
Aharon

OoooK......seems that no one thinks much of this problem with the Calrec PCB.
No matter what resolution I print on the pads are too close to each other.
Please guys,I could use a little help here.
How did you work around this problem?.
Thanks
Aharon
PS:if I'm asking stupid questions or I wore out my welcome please let me know....

[quote author="Aharon"]No matter what resolution I print on the pads are too close to each other.
[/quote]

Aharon, are you using a InkJet printer? If so you might want to print it out on a laser printer. Some Inkjets tend to bleed when printing on a transparency.

Cheers,

elco

Aharon

I made my own PCB's & as far as I remeber, I did some editing to increase the spacing, but still had to check everything with a multimeter. I had to snip a few track bridges, 2 or 3.

Peter

Hi Aharon,

I've made several of the calrec boards using a 300dpi laser printer and transparant film, onto photoresist-pcb's. No problems with anything shorting..?

Jakob E.

Hi Aharon,

Have you had much experience etching boards before?

Often with a board with finer traces than usual, a lot of the success of the board depends on the actual process. If you spend too long developing the board, or if your etchant is cool and results in a longer etch time, the finer traces can be jeopardised.

I'd just give them a go, or if you're not familiar with your particular batch of PCB stock, run a test board (etch a small board that could be useful if it works okay, but that you're not bothered if it doesn't work out) and this will give you a good idea of exposure and etch times.

Good luck with it!

Mark

Thanks guys!!!!.This help means a lot for me as a newbie.Also good to know that people have done it and succeeded.That tells me I have to improve my technique and that's what's all about.Again I apologize for any silly questions.
THanks
Aharon

Hi Jakob,

What kind of transparency film did you use? The film I tried with laser printer caused the film to melt, slightly wrinkling and thus I didn't have any faith in it's accuracy.

???

Thanks

Mike

Great idea the Calrec meta.
I just want to update my original question.
I have since successfully printed the PCBs with enough spacing to transfer to copper.I just had to adjust the printer a little.
Thanks
Aharon

Just a quick chime in that I've also made these pcbs at home with no spacing trouble. As said earlier, you need to refine the process of UV exposure and times in the tanks as they relate to your particular setup. That's key to getting good, sharp results. I also went over the boards very closely with a magnifying glass to check for problems.

Steve

Latest posts

Back