newbie questions regarding 1176 kit

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

imo

I shall fall gracefully and ask for information, some of which may seem pretty inane, so pardon my ignorance.
Having finished a Hamptone tube mic-pre with little trouble i have inched up to the Tangible-Technologies 1176 kit. I bought an enclosure based off of their prototype( 1 rack space aluminum) and I am waiting for my Digikey/Mouser parts to come in. I have a few questions that i was hoping to clarify before i jump into the build next week.
1. I have the Cinemag input transformer (model CMLI 10/600BPC) it has no mounting bushings or anything. What is the best way to mount this? I could pull it tight against the enclosure with a tension tie, but so far that is the only solution i have come up with
2. The output transformer is pretty tight in this enclosure. Should it be isolated from the enclosure walls? I can't find any way to mount it other than against the back panel, which would leave both the top and bottom snug against the aluminum. The wires, of course, would be isolated, just wondering if this would cause problems?
I appreciate any information. I have been reading everything i can get my hands on and trying to digest as much info as possible, but the curve is a bit intimidating at first.
thanks
Ian

hi ian,
use a capacitor mounting ring (you can probably find it at digikey or mouser).measure the diameter of the cinemag input tx and get the capacitor mount with closest diamter (a little smaller is better than a little larger diameter because at least you can expand the smaller diameter by backing off on the screw.
you can mount the sowter output tx on the backplate of the chassis. i mounted them by placing washers to raise the tx off the backplate slightly so i wouldn't strangle any wires. the tx will be mounted horizontally with the mounting holes oriented towards the backplate. drill holes, add washers and bolt down to backplate. as long as the tx wires have the jacket over the copper then you are o.k. i ran the wires along the chassis and mounted the output amp board as close to the tx as possible to avoid long leads. no noise issues. oops, i just remembered that i used a 2U rack case, but this should still work as long as the sowter isn't too big when mounted in the mentioned orientation.
good luck!
-grant

but the curve is a bit intimidating at first.
don't sweat it, i'm new at this too, but thanks to this forum and all the helpful members, i've learned so much and continue to learn more and more.
by the way, welcome to the lab!
regards,
grant

Latest posts

Back