single 24 volts from a bipolar 15 volt supply?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JRE Productions

Easy on the super technical stuff please!

Ok, so I am thinking of standardizing my projects to a 500 series form factor. But a few of my projects are a single 24-28 vdc. Think N*ve and others. So the question is: using an existing A@PI rack with bipolar 15vdc, I can get 30v by using each leg and not the common. What will the effects be on units next to this one that still need bipolar? Would I have to find a way to isolate the single voltage unit? I am assuming I can get down to 24 volts by using either a regulator.

Thanks for any input.

Joe

Maybe an answer to my own questions but I just read Geoff Tanner said that Neve did simular tp get a compressor to work in a new console. He said they used two 12v regulators (neg and Pos) on the board. This brought down the voltage down to 24v peak to peak. Then used it that way. Seems to be a decent way to do it.

I was thinking of combining the bipolar then regulating, but this suggest regulating then combining...Hmm food for thought.

Anyone see any flaws in the whole concept of using one rack to power multiple VDC?

Joe

[quote author="JRE Productions"]
.... using an existing A@PI rack with bipolar 15vdc, I can get 30v by using each leg and not the common. What will the effects be on units next to this one that still need bipolar? Would I have to find a way to isolate the single voltage unit? [/quote]

Hi,

Mixing modules and powering them that way is possible only if the modules do not share the same common (power) ground.

Regards,
Milan

what you are trying to do is level shift. the potential between the rails IS 30vdc, what you need to do is shift this level up in potential so that the 30vdc is sitting on ground. on second thought I'm not so sure just rectifying will work here.. let me do some simulations.

If, and only if, you have isolating transformers on the inputs and outputs of unipolar units, you might be okay, but you will probably regret using the same supply. Simple things like connecting a scope ground become a major problem that can cause major shorts.

If, and only if, you have isolating transformers on the inputs and outputs of unipolar units, you might be okay, but you will probably regret using the same supply. Simple things like connecting a scope ground become a major problem that can cause major shorts.

hey sorry, I did some sims and there isn't a nice way to do this. A simple dc-dc converter would work. I have a design that I am working on for another thread that would work fine here too with adjustements.

I'll post it when i get done.

Latest posts

Back