making SSL clone w/original SSL cards

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

progear

hello all,

im new here, so here is my quesion, i own an ssl 4k console and have a spare 82e27 comp card and a bunch of extra 82e13 channel strip vca cards, so is there anyway to make a ssl 2buss comp with using this cards and interconnecting between the 2 ?

yes, i have on order 6 new PCB to make SSLG clones and can't wait to get started.

I think if i understand you right, you have CHANNEL dynamics cards, yes? These would give you dual mono/stereo CHANNEL, not MIX! Also, there is a dual pot with one track log and one track lin in the expander/gate iirc - very expensive to have made up! These would sound great, I love 'em in our 4000E, but they are very different to the mix compressor! Cool constant output level feature, though.

Rack 'em up anyway if you don't have a stress getting hold of pots. You could probably leaveout the expander part ro get around this, but don;t ask me how? I am not sure whether it'll work with that part od the control circuitry missing.

Can;t help thinking that if you want an SSL mix compressor, you should just build an SSL mix compressor! Gotta be easier. There is no guarantee that your cards are working. There may be a good reason why they've been swapped out of a console. Troubleshooting might be tricky if you are a newbie.

Good Luck!

ANdyP

No, sorry I'll try to make it a little clearer...

i have a spare working 82e27 compressor card from the master section and i also a bunch of working 82e13 VCA card that are from the 611E channel strips. the VCA cards have a single dbx202c on them.

As i understand it the SSL 2buss comp work's off of two cards in the master section (82E26 & 82E27 Cards) correct ?...

I guess one of the questions I'm asking is can i use two 82e13 in place of a single 82e26 card and if so can they be wired up to work ?
i understand i would have to add pots, meter P/S and XLR's

Thanks
progear

OK!

I still think you would find it easier to build G-SSL, using your 202c's from the spare channels. I don't have schemo of master section card in front of me, but I reckon G-SSL is probably simpler to implement. It has balanced in and out, and PSU onboard. Keep your cards as spares. i wish WE had some spare cards for OUR 4000E . . . So much easier to swapout in the middle of a session than have to troubleshoot.

Just my tuppence worth!

HAve fun!

ANdyP

Latest posts

Back