PM1000 people: Check my work? (see pic)

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JW

I've modded about 6 channels on my board like this and I figured I should ask a couple questions before I continue.

1. Wire sizes. You'll notice the pink and light green wires going from the PCB to the transformer are thicker in size than the transformer wires they're connected to. I've just been stripping the wire out of a totaled Otari MX5050 for this project, not paying much attention or knowing the function of the wire I was pulling out. So my question is: When is the size of a wire an issue?

The small wires coming out of the transformer, are connected to thicker wires, again, on their way to the XLR I installed.

2. Also, for those of you who have modded pm1000 channels for preamps, (w/ the Xformer) this is what you've done right? The pink wire on the PCB is connected to the negative leg of C37. The light green wire is connected to the star ground and is connected to the other transformer in. The dark green wire that is also connected to the star ground actually loops around (under my finger) to pin 1 on the XLR.
Does all this okay?

3. wire lengths. Are there any problems with the lengths of the wires, either from the PCB to the Xformer or from the Xformer to the XLR? The pairs are also probably not exactly the same length.

4. Am I being too anal?

Here's the pic: http://img30.imageshack.us/my.php?image=p22200053nf.jpg

I have no experience with this unit, but I would be surprised if the thickness or length of the wires were something you should worry about.

/Anders

I racked a pair last year as pre's, but I'm not sure if the wiring is right because I took a different approach. I also used different output transformers since I didn't have the original ones. I would think the wire size would be fine.

Elk

my suggestion would be to get some heat shrink tubing instead of using the elec tape. come back in 6 months and the electape will be all unraveled and leaving residue all over everything. that stuff sucks. i'm not sure what the purpose of electape is actually...

Hey Elk,

What did you wire the hot and cold transformer ins to on the PCB side?
And did you wire your pin 1 on the XLR to the star ground?

Latest posts

Back