is an amp(lifier) an amp is an amp?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JRE Productions

I gutted a video distribution amp box to reclaim the rack box. It is from at least the early 70's. Anyway inside the box was a circuit board labeled line amp. On the board itself it is labeld output amp. I am trying to figure out if this is an audio amp or a video amp or is an amp an amp?

It has 5 transistors, F2n4126, 2n4124, 2n4125(?), 2N2907a (round)2N2222 (round). Its also got a round component on it about the size of a pencil eraser that has TD401 and 6 wires. And also has two trim pots. I took a picture, but its kind of blury. THis is about the size of 2 2520 side by side.

Is this an audio amp? Can you tell by the values what the power requirement is?

Thanks.

DSC00759.jpg

The is six connections. 2 for input , 2 for output and 2 for power(I assume). So I assume it is a single voltage and not bipolar?

It's a video amplifier, just like you said at the top of your post. (You told us about all the semiconductors, but didn't even mention the make/model of the amp). The short answer is that amplifiers are not all the same, they're optimized for their intended purpose (frequency range, level, load impedance, etc.) and a video DA is generally not suitable in its stock form to use as an audio amp. It could be useful as a wordclock DA. But you've already gutted it...

560 AR Matrix 12x Pro Video Switcher was on the front. I bought a pair of these 2U boxes for $8 on ebay. They only had an on off switch on the front and a gain pot. I have gotten my $8 out of them for sure. They only thing I salvaged was the power supply section and these amps. There was also an audio input and output jack on the back. Thats why I questioned the use. I assumed all the rest of the guts were the DA.

Should I strip these amps for the parts and toss the boards away? The rest of the guts went into the trash before I was thought about all the transistors.

04_3.jpg

Latest posts

Back