When did Motorola become On Semi ? (2N3055 related)

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

clintrubber

Hi,

I'm just wondering when 'Motorola' became 'On Semi'.

Unsurprisingly I'm having 'correct' 2N3055-devices in mind; I've read about 'unlikely' datecodes, fake devices etc.
From the BlackMarket-pic of our fellow-DIYer Maxwall I conclude that the change must have been after '9042' (~Oct 1990), but before somewhere mid 2000.

Could that be correct ?

The next question is then of course if there's any reason to get NOS-devices while I can easily get ON-branded 2N3055's at RS ?

BTW, I've read here somewhere that there's also difference in sound (BA283-application) between old ON & recent ON-devices, so I guess there might as well be no clear picture to be drawn & just testing is the message...

Thanks,

Peter

[quote author="uk03878"]Sorry to cloud the info further
But have a look at this great thread
2N3055 History[/quote]
Thanks for that link.

And no problem, if it's a fuzzy topic then we just have to face it ! :thumb:

N*E*V*E are using STMicro 2N3055 in the 1073DPA, strange cause I've been testing like a 100 of them and they all have big overshots in a BA283 circuit. Don't know what they´re using the A*M*S-N*E*V*E clone of the 1073.

[quote author="Tekay"]N*E*V*E are using STMicro 2N3055 in the 1073DPA, strange cause I've been testing like a 100 of them and they all have big overshots in a BA283 circuit. Don't know what they´re using the A*M*S-N*E*V*E clone of the 1073.[/quote]

Another oops... I've been wondering if it'd be OK to buy new ON-brand 2N3055 at RS instead of going for old Moto-NOS etc and then this news here - so where have I been worrying about ?
:shock:

HaHa!

I think it was about 5 or 6 yrs ago that they changed the name. Still good product.

My experience has been that ST Micro is junk-ola. Fairchild is even worse. Just inconsistent as can be. Stick with ONSemi and you are good.

Here's an illustration... ONSemi and ST both make TIP35C/36C. But! If you cut the plastic off of each one, you will find that the ON die is actually ~40% larger than the one used on the ST. Same part number, but you'll not know unless you try pushing the part to its limits. The POP! and smoke tell the story. And the price, of course!

Actually the manufacturer that makes the BEST version of this particular part is KEC in Korea, believe it or not. Same size die as he ON, but with a larger piece of copper for the tab.

Hope that helps!
Charlie

[quote author="SonsOfThunder"]HaHa!

I think it was about 5 or 6 yrs ago that they changed the name. Still good product.

My experience has been that ST Micro is junk-ola. Fairchild is even worse. Just inconsistent as can be. Stick with ONSemi and you are good.

Here's an illustration... ONSemi and ST both make TIP35C/36C. But! If you cut the plastic off of each one, you will find that the ON die is actually ~40% larger than the one used on the ST. Same part number, but you'll not know unless you try pushing the part to its limits. The POP! and smoke tell the story. And the price, of course!

Actually the manufacturer that makes the BEST version of this particular part is KEC in Korea, believe it or not. Same size die as he ON, but with a larger piece of copper for the tab.

Hope that helps!
Charlie[/quote]
Thanks. that's encouraging, ON-to-go. Hmm, shocking story about those ST-devices, thanks for sharing ! :thumb:
KEC I've think to have seen as a brand, didn't know they make them as well.. And RCA I've seen mentioned, but why make it that hard to find 2N3055 ? :wink:

Bye,

Peter

I've also tested MJ3055, TIP3055 and a couple of BD24x but they all have huge overshots. Think they are to fast :? Maybe an adjustment of the RC filter in the AC feedback can cure that?

[quote author="clintrubber"]
I'm just wondering when 'Motorola' became 'On Semi'.
[/quote]
... it must be long after 1990, in circa 1993 Motorola append TESLA
old Czech factory in Roznov pod Radhostem.

I have Motorola catalogue from 1997 , and OnSemi catalogue from 1999.
May Be 1998 ????

[quote author="clintrubber"]
'correct' 2N3055-devices in mind
[/quote]

On Semi 2N3055== TESLA KD3055 or poor ???? KD501-KD503 ???, veryvery old transistor, I have not that old TESLA constructers catalogue near hand.
It not exact eqivallent of 2N3055
for info:
KD 501 Uceo >40 V
KD 503 >80 V /Ucer @ Rb=47 Ohm >90V
Ic =20 A, Icm = 30 A , Ptot=150W,

xvlk

Tekay said:
I've tried new Toshiba 2N3055 with the same results as 73' motorola!

I'm sorry my English is not perfect.

Were you saying that you found the Toshiba to be similar to the Motorola 2N3055 used in the original Neve 1073?

that would be really nice, since it's quite easy to get Toshiba transistors.

Thanks

Latest posts

Back