High spl electret capsules

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

josan

I have been asked by a percussionist about micing several instruments live
and one option is to get the Apex drum mic kit with clip on mics and a few dynamic mics. The other is he needs to mount mics in some drums and instruments a bit more permanantly. Digikey no longer has the WM-60ay
electrets but are there other panasonics which could be used that are available readily or other capsules that could be used.

I think you meant to put a question mark at the end of that.

Look up the 'alice' mic here... You might find that interesting.

Or, there was something called the TapeOp measurment mic. I think.

I have two "Alices" on the bench line up, but they are too large. I am looking at small clip on types with some that have to be mounted inside drums
like a log drum and various other instruments

a company called JLI sells replacements for the 60AY, etc. I bought a bag of them with the intention of making some linkwitz mod mics, but have not gotten around to it yet.

this is the page you want: http://www.jlielectronics.com/ecm.htm

the saleman i talked to was friendly and helpful. prices are comparably to what the original panasonic pieces ran.

also notable, JLI sells a large range of taiwanese dynamic capsules. one of these days i hope to grab a hand full and start building my own mic closet!

I haven't been real happy with the sound of omnis mounted inside a drum. It kinda sounds like you have your head in a bucket.
I would look at the alice mic, but just make it a bit smaller. You don't need a connector until you get outside of the drum. You can sub some electrolytics for the large film caps.

Latest posts

Back