NYD's passive EQ, ghetto edition

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NewYorkDave

Since I never seem to have the free time to do a "proper" build of the EQ, I whipped up this quickie prototype in a couple of afternoons, just so I could finally do a real-life test of the circuit.

It tests out as predicted and (IMHO) sounds good, too. :grin:

Pics at
http://groupdiy.twin-x.com/thumbnails.php?album=107

The case comes from an old gutted Shure mic mixer, if you couldn't tell. The circuit departs slightly from the PDF I posted recently; I'll post an updated schematic when I get around to it.

More details later...

[quote author="Consul"]That avatar rocks![/quote]

Thanks. I was going nuts with the Dymo labeller as I was finishing up the EQ. I made that label with my screen name, stuck it on the scanner and my new avatar was born.

As for the schematic... Here's the thing:

My ongoing financial problems came to the fore again today, and that got me thinking about some things. What this means, with regard to the matter at hand, is that I've put a lot of time into this circuit and I'd be very upset if it turned up in some ripoff product. While the circuit itself is certainly not rocket science, with all the present mania for "passive EQ", it's feasible that some bottom-feeder manufacturer could go fishing on the web for designs. And since there just ain't much out there beside the Pultec circuit, mine could definitely pop up on the short list.

Besides, I might choose to exploit the design commercially myself, someday. And you can't sell something if you've already given it away.

Therefore, I've removed all diagrams relating to this EQ from the web. For those of you who've downloaded them, I ask that you extend me the courtesy of not sharing them with others, or utilizing the design for anything outside non-commercial personal use. I'll be removing material related to a couple of other designs as well, and I request that you observe the came courtesy regarding those. Outside of "gadgets" and other little tossed-off stuff, I'll no longer be posting publicly any circuit which I believe to have commercial potential worth pursuing.

However, I will share schematics (including the latest revision of this EQ) under certain conditions. If you're a regular contributing member of the Lab and you agree to observe the "no sharing, no commercial use" policy, I'll email it to you. Write to electronic_dave *at* y*hoo dotcom and be sure to identify yourself by your Lab handle. Sorry, but requests from lurkers will be ignored.

I apologize if this seems weird, but I really gotta start looking out for myself more.

[quote author="Consul"]That avatar rocks![/quote]
It's good practice to declare stuff the stuff-of-the-year early on, and that avatar qualifies imnsho! :thumb:

The very essence of DIY.

Dave:

I respect your decision to keep things to yourself. You are one of several people who actually bring custom, or new, designs to the table. Most of us just enjoy DIY and build things that have been around forever. I've only tinkered a little with custom stuff, and nothing has come out it that I'd want to put my name on. But if I ever did, I'd probably be feeling the same way you do.

After I finish up my current DIY projects, a passive equaliser will be next. I'll e-mail when that time comes and hopefully you'll share a bit of that noggin' with me.

Nice work on the EQ :thumb:

Dave,

You're a bastard.

How the hell am I supposed to get rich now??? -You KNOW I'm incapable of creative solutions on my own...

Well, that does it. I'm keeping the last known source of dozens of boxes of Gabilas a closely-guarded secret!

-All joking apart, I can't blame ya. -The temptation for exploitation of good nature seems to be too much for some folks.

Keith

[quote author="NewYorkDave"]Therefore, I've removed all diagrams relating to this EQ from the web. For those of you who've downloaded them, I ask that you extend me the courtesy of not sharing them with others, or utilizing the design for anything outside non-commercial personal use. I'll be removing material related to a couple of other designs as well, and I request that you observe the came courtesy regarding those. Outside of "gadgets" and other little tossed-off stuff, I'll no longer be posting publicly any circuit which I believe to have commercial potential worth pursuing.

I apologize if this seems weird, but I really gotta start looking out for myself more.[/quote]

I fully understand what you're saying and am respecting it. It 's also fully in line with your NewYears resolutions.

BUT respected people doing understandable things like this will be the end of the good warm worthwhile positive inspiring (stop me...) feeling that I (myself at least) have been experiencing over here and at 'the old place'.

It shouldn't be like this. I mean, to protect 'us' from bad practices we should think about what we could do about it. It'll mean new members can't join/read/download as easily as it has been before. That's bad. But facing the choice of giving up the place we had - or stay 'open' to new members & lurkers I'd vote for the former - how selfish that may sound.

This is what I'm thinking now after having returned from an overwhelming gig and some glasses - maybe tomorrow there'll be some additional nuances.
But 'feeling restricted because of ...' of valuable contributors like you (to say the least) may not happen for those (understandable) reasons.
To avoid that an alternative solution may cause some other disadvantages as far as I'm concerned - we can't have it all...

Peter

The Netherlands

01:35 local time

[quote author="NewYorkDave"]I apologize if this seems weird, but I really gotta start looking out for myself more.[/quote]

Dave,

I don't understand why you are apologizing. Nor is it weird. We really enjoyed your generosity, but nothing lasts forever. We see more and more rip-off work based on what is published here. You also see fewer publicists and fewer quality publications. It is interesting to engage in creative development on a forum like this for the sake of learning. However, development is time consuming and costly. Seeing your pride ripped off is a real killer. Also, as time goes by many find it more difficult to spend months to develop something and publish it here. So in the end there is no way to recover any part of the investment or fund the next project. I can only congratulate you for coming to your senses.

Cheers,
Tamas

Dave, your new avatar and EQ kick too much ass!!! Right on, brother.

About your decision to start keeping more things to yourself, I can't say I blame you, but I can say it saddens me. I guess the ideal of a not-for-profit, freely-sharing online community clashes with the realities of a world that's full of assholes (or am I being too dramastic?).

So, on a somewhat related topic, is there a compiled list of commercial products that are GroupDIY rip-offs? Can we start one, maybe?

Peace,
Al.

EDIT: Oh, and if you're OK with me having a look at the schematic, can I see it? please? My GroupDIY nickname at yahoo! dot com.

I'm not worried so much about the "DraSpastic Audio" type small-timers. I'm thinking more along the lines of Bear Ringer and other China-based ripoff artists. Their focus might be mostly on IC-based junk right now; but mark my words, it won't be long before they decide to cash in on the mania for vintage-style stuff. And none of us should want to be on their unpaid R&D team.

Believe me, I'm not happy about the idea of not posting circuits here. Astute criticism from PRR and others has helped me in many cases to improve upon the ideas I've presented. Designing in a vacuum is lonely.

Dramastic had a booth at the NAMM show last week and was selling the GSSL off the floor. I can understand not funding R&D labs of the world, but it would be sad if this community of DIY circuits went away.

I think it's a shame also, but a regrettable necessity. People seem to feel entitled to anything and everything they can lay their hands on. Check out pmroz's printer story: http://www.groupdiy.com/index.php?topic=13094

They'd be mortified if you called them thieves - they see it as essentially a victimless non-crime if they can't see who's been hurt. Same with illegal downloading. People get hurt.

[quote author="NewYorkDave"]Astute criticism from PRR and others has helped me in many cases to improve upon the ideas I've presented. Designing in a vacuum is lonely.[/quote]

Nah, ya don't have to be lonely. I often email ideas to a few people I trust and get some feedback. I think Paul would return your email if you asked nice. By the way, there is all sorts of wheeling and dealing we are doing in the background that is not posted here, but most of them involve out own ideas.
Anyhow, if you hope to make money on your ideas someday you will have to find a few people you can trust. People can help you, but you have to find the right ones. You can't expect to post something here and ask "oh, please be a gentleman about it".
People registered on the forum aren't the only ones finding your posts. It is the entire internet. Yesterday I was really surprised to do a search on Yahoo for "discrete opamps" and see my meta thread come up as the FIRST entry on the FIRST page. :shock:

Dave, that box looks like proper DIY to me. :thumb: Dymos rock!

Also, I can perfectly understand why you took the circuits off your site.. no-one should have anything to complain to that, especially when you're willing to give them to the regulars here.

I'll check my Photobucket too, to see if there's any related documents.. will remove.

EDIT: Yep, found one of your first drawings there. Quess I put it there to save your bandwidth. Anyway, it's out now.

That EQ looks as DIY as it gets. Would you care to post some before and after EQ examples?

And sorry to hear that you have to take this stance. I've been planning on building a couple of your devices, but it wasn't going to be until later this year. I fully understand not wanting to have your hard work stolen for the profit of others.

However, if you do in fact make or license your designs to be sold commercially, would it then be ok to DIY them again? :razz: :razz:

Matt

Latest posts

Back