Slow Blow pre?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
have a look at the Meta or seek for 'slowblow'

this link seems to work
http://www.wwnet.net/~dhicks/misc/stuff.html

i'm working on a new schematic, but there's two old ones up at my site:

http://www.sismofyt.net/slowblow.html

maybe a mod will edit the meta link?

eta 100706

link is working

Hi Fotis,

Did you get a chance to do the schematics? This preamp intrigues me!
I can't find any good links for the slowblow.

jim

I have some informations, boom and schematics of slowblow...I can't remember where do they come from. I was interested in making one since everybody speak so well about it, so I start colecting info. So if I can help, just e-mail me!

I also found I have some info on it.

However I am not sure of version etc.

Also does sismofyt OK us exchanging his baby? I am saying this because I couldn't find any info on his website, so I can't presume its public now.

jim

An "orgasm machine" sounds like a great preamp to build!

Anyone can send me files and I'll host them and link em here.

email me on dax*at*puzzlefactoryDOTcomDOTau

Since I know diddly-squat about transformers and their correct usage, could someone tell me about the suitability of this transformer (of which I own a few) as the input tranny for this preamp.

iron_2.jpg

It's very heavy for a little tranny.

To you who attempt to build this pre: I´ve quickly "scanned" through those files inside the ZIP, and to me it seems that those schems are not always the newest ones.
Take into consideration:
that the heater needs to be elevated (heater biasing);
that there has been a typo concerning the output tranny (Ole/Sismofyt lately told me that it would be best to use no output tranny at all);
that there has been a typo in the 48V power supply drawing, if I remember correctly;
that (concerning reliability) you perhaps shouldn´t use a relay-switched bleeder to discharge the HV caps after power-off, but better use permanent bleeders (one for each HV cap), and that the heater elevation serves as a further bleeder...;
that (following Ole) you can use two chokes (one per channel) if you want to improve the pre further;
that Ole recommends to change the ECC82 to 12SN7 or to another 5687 (Jazzy has done the newest version called "asymptot" with the 12SN7, Fotis has been experimenting with a "only 5687"-version).

Jazzy and Fotis recently did working builds, and you can find pics of those and of the newest and working schems in the following thread:

http://www.groupdiy.com/index.php?topic=10751&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

It seems that Fotis links don´t work at the moment, at least I can´t access them from here. His schem for the PSU had the elevated heater, the two chokes and other "goodies" (e.g. Ole´s "approval" :grin: ), so it would be best to ask Fotis if he could bring the links back to life.
Jazzy has a schem for his "asymptot", so you could ask him if he sends it to you.
Cheers, Toff

(Oh, and yesterday I powered up my slowblo, and it works. Will post pics in a month, when I have done the front panel :grin: )

Well, if we keep posting in this thread and it stays at the top of the board, then hopefully everyone involved in the design will check it out and help us (I mean "correct us" :grin: )

So, who's interested in building this preamp?

(and has anyone got anything to say about my Tamura trannies? PLEASE?!?)

I just did some searching and it appears that the SlowBlow isn't in the Meta-Meta!
I can't seem to find any threads with links that actually work. (Besides the zip file I'm hsoting). I suppose that would explain why it's not in the meta.

From everything I've read about this preamp, it seems to be absolutely amazing and simple to build.

I'd love to see the 3 main contributors get together and finalise a construction guide, etc. I'm not sure how I could help with that, but I'd be more than willing to give my time to make it happen.

I have 2 other projects (LA2A and GSSL) to finish but I am looking at my next one.

I have always been intrigued by this design. I like "overdesign" it shows a willingness to go for the top. I don't mind paying and building a bit more if it means an incredible sound in the end.

So this one is my first choice but its because of the lack of a final design that I brought this thread back. I am learning a lot but I am still not good enough to design or even improve a great design.

Lack of definitive layout/schematic has me worried.

Hopefully the ones that have built and/or modified it will step in here and advise their disciples.

jim

Latest posts

Back