hum problem in tube amp

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
yes you are right. i found out that the fender champ amps use only 1 6v6 output tube as well but this model seems to be 'undocumented' as it uses the champ single output tube/tube rectifier and the musicmaster phase inverter '3rd transformer'. looks like i will try to write my own schematic for this one.

thanks for all who helped. I will post results when the rectifier tube arrives.

problem solved!!!!

last post i promise.

replaced power caps. and a few other lytics. the whole tube rectifier thing was a big goose chase. the label inside the amp must have came of a champ or been mistakenly put on. i realized this when the second output tube was not connected multiple times to the power transformer.

its a true 2x 6v6 amp that absolutly kicks ass now. i can't tell you how great this amp is. clean and deluxe reberby at 5, 6v6 crunch at 9 that almost made me weap.

thanks for your help guys, learned a lot

Cool! Yeah, just 'cause something says it's one thing (the label) doesn't mean it is, especially on used equipment. Always good to verify. On a similar note, years ago, I went to get some new speakers for my '65 Fender Vibro. ('cause one of the ones in it had a hole in it) I wasn't in the "know" at that time, so got them from Fender. Well, the ones they sent TOTALLY destroyed the tone of the amp. It sounded like CRAP! (Before that it was so freakin' sweet!). Actually, that's one of the minor events that led me to the DIY world. 'Cause, if you want it done right, you're gonna have to do it yourself! :twisted: :sam:

Yeah, the Champ takes a 4 ohm speaker, which do not grow on trees.

The Musicmaster Bass is thin, so it fits right between the front and back seat, on the floor, which is one of the things I liked, tall thin speaker cab.
Throw a couple of those in the back, and your ready to go.

Latest posts

Back