Replacement for Quad Opamp (BE037...)

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

clintrubber

Hi,

The short version:

Anyone has suggestions for a good quad (14-pin) opamp ?

Background:

I've been replacing the opamps in a Behringer MX662 unit:
originally it had 4558's and now sockets in which I'll be putting 5532's.
There's also one quad opamp, the Behringer BE037 of which I seem to recall it
was a special opamp, also available separately to upgrade etc etc.

But that's marketing-blah -since http://www.dbmproaudio.com/behrparts.html
says it's like a LM348, which is something like a quad 741 !!

So I'll put a socket there as well and it seems I can't go wrong
with a TL074 for the time being.
But if anyone has some suggestions for a good quad please tell.
I figure a BJT-input is OK.

Thanks,

Peter

I remember the MC33079 being mentioned at the TC2240-thread here a while ago. Is this a nice one for general utility amplification stages ?

Thanks,

Peter

Thanks Jakob, I'll go for that opamp. Let's see if they stock it here.

Actually a nice thread, the one about the TC-circuits in which you mentioned the 33079. Interesting to browse the TC1140-circuit, lots of ideas.

Thanks,

Peter

how about TI burr brown ...like opa4132 (seems to be an excellent audio quad), opa4134 (not really the same but very good as well), opa4227 (the ...227 series sound VERY good as replacement opamps in my modded SPL vitalizer from 1994!)...just a thought... :grin:

Thanks all for the responses & sorry for the delay in answering - holidays made that this Behr.-box hasn't seen a soldering iron the last few weeks.

There's a TL074 in the qiad position for now, but I'll be replacing it with a 33079 just to get this box closed again.

The current-draw remarks were right on, those 5532's (7*) draw a lot more than the original 4558's. The supply seemed to be able to deliver though. The power-TX looks big enough, added heatsinks to the 7X15 and all looked OK.

FWIW, bottom line to all this is that I won't be using this Behr.- box for my application.
Original idea was to save time by using an already available piece of gear & upgrade it (Ultralink MX662) but toying around with it made me decide to rather build my own circuit. There was hum and I figured an own DIY-version of my intended configuration could be made with a lot less opamps & electrolytics in the signal path.

Bye,

Peter

Latest posts

Back