Roger Mayer RM57 build?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Looks like you're on a mission - cool!
Will take a closer look at the schematic.

In the meantime, here are a couple more gut shots of actual units.

It's probably noteworthy that styroflex capacitors were used in some places.
Also some metal transistors transistors are different in the L/R channel cards of the very same unit.

A huge THANKS to you for getting seriously into this. Can't wait to see where it goes, this puppy has been on my which list for years. I don't know how I can help, and I don't have much time but let me know if there are things I can do. Can be prototyping, stuff like that.
Best from Paris,
Thomas

I’m going to use 2N2222 in replacement of the 2N3391 from the originals, the 2N697 I will replace with BD139 or try a 2N3053 as per 1176 output transistor and use J201 for the jfets.
I’ll make a few pcbs and populate with 0.5W resistors not sure yet if I could get away with 1/4w?
Pretty sure I have most of the bits here to mock up, hopefully this will turn into a nice project!!!

Other replacements are diodes to1N4001, 50uf/40v to 47uf/35v
200uf to 220uf/25v.

I notice one card has D1 and the other just uses a jumper.

Everything else so far I’ll keep the same.
Corrected a couple of things from the original documents as well as there was some mistakes.
Have tidied it up a bit and will print off a pcb, then drill and populate!!!

Let’s get the circuit working first then see how it sounds, for drums I’ve read it’s fantastic, bit of a one trick pony but all the albums it’s been used on I love so it’s a must for the studio.

Running it parallel on kick, snare overheads and getting it pumpin!!

GARBAGE COMPRESSION
One of the not-so-secret pieces of outboard that has helped define Garbage’s sound is the Roger Mayer RM58 compressor. Butch and Billy swear by it for drums.

Butch: “If you listen to the drums on the end of Amends, they’re hammered through the Roger Mayer, which blows them out in a cool way. Whenever the drums get really loud, like on Empty, it’s probably mixed in 50% on one of the buses.

“I found it when I was producing Sonic Youth’s album Dirty in New York City. The engineer, John Siket, knew this gear broker who had a bunch of weird gear out in Brooklyn. I went out to his pad and he said, ‘You should try out this compressor, man.’ It was a $500 solid state compressor. I took it to the studio, plugged it in, and to me, it made everything sound like early The Who records. It had this wild, but cool, crunchy out of control sound. So I bought it. I’ve used it on so many records, but it’s got a specific sound, so you either have to embrace it or not.”

Billy: “Roger Mayer made these compressors in the late ’60s when he was making a bunch of console parts around New York. They’re super fast solid state compressors that admittedly don’t really sound great. I called Roger Mayer up about it and he said, ‘Why would you want to use that?’ When you put it in the most extreme settings, it’s got the most glorious drum sound. We scoured the planet for these things and we’ve got three of them now, Butch has got one and I’ve got two. They’re beat to hell, the VU meters don’t work, and it only ever works when everything’s cranked to 10. If you run it as a parallel compressor on the kick, snare and toms, and a little bit of room mic, it creates this sound I haven’t heard on anything else.”

Back