Who are we today?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Just curious to who we all are now today in this nice little place:

• Studio-owner/engineer interested in DIY for an interesting & cost-effective way to great gear

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Studio-owner/engineer interested in DIY for making gear that doesn't exist on the market

• Working Musician with DIY-interests

• Weekend warrior Musician with DIY-interests

• DIY-er who likes to build gear to toy around with at home

• Techhead looking for a subject to build stuff for

• Manufacturer/designer

• Other

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
why give up personal info on the web? Great help marketers with a poll.

[quote author="Gus"]why give up personal info on the web? Great help marketers with a poll.[/quote]
Let's not get too paranoid but you may have a point. Let's give them a few days to collect the info - after that the poll should selfdestruct.

"Weekend warrior Musician with DIY-interests" is the overwhleming majority of responses so far. i guess that explains the sense of entitlement that seems so prevalent around here.

'hey, its only a hobby to me so it should only be a hobby to you too.'

[quote author="solder_city"]'hey, its only a hobby to me so it should only be a hobby to you too.'[/quote]

Who ever said that?

Gustav

i heard a couple of people bitchin about 'going commercial' and 'stifling the free flow of information' because others decided to not post some of their circuits.

At the time of posting I couldn't think of much other entries, but I'm getting curious to the 'other'-category !
If you want to tell but stay anom. please PM me, I expect I can add categories and then you can re-vote if you like.

So feel free to suggest other entries.

[quote author="solder_city"]what is the point of this? market research?[/quote]

No of course not - and it'd be too obvious. I'm just curious (without any 'economical factor') to who we are, who's part of this community.

There have been a few intro- & what music-do-you-like etc threads, with lots of contributions. But to get a clear overview a poll looked a better way vs having to read many pages of interesting but potentially lenghty posts. The poll is not as cosy of course :wink:

But if you all feel this sounds like market research that turns into spam & too easy available info for some profit-makers then I'll ask a moderator to delete this thread & poll in a few days.

Just be sure to know that my intention may have been naive w.r.t. the potential benefit of some others, but was just based on curiousity to who is actually living in SolderFumeVillage. Like get to know their neighbours.

Bye,

Peter

[quote author="Gus"]why give up personal info on the web? Great help marketers with a poll.[/quote]

Do you really think that this little thread would benefit one or another manufacturer?
and if so? what's the problem, at least that would mean that someone is listeing to us.. and it's positive to me..
i'm not a manufacturer.. i voted for the 1st.. cause that's the one that best describes me..
i would like to add that i'm here also to understand how circuits works so that i can use my machines in their best ways.
I learned a lot about this stuff over here and at the old place..
so thank you all..
but please.. i think that these kind of comments (the quote) are really out of context

[quote author="pucho812"][quote author="clintrubber"]Who are we all today?[/quote]

we are the music makers. we are the dreamers of a dream. :cool:[/quote]

So true ! I mean, this evening I'm meeting with a few semi-ex-bandmembers to see what we'll make of our band: stop or find a new way of doing our thing. If we continue then the dreaming can as well :wink:

[quote author="solder_city"]i heard a couple of people bitchin about 'going commercial' and 'stifling the free flow of information' because others decided to not post some of their circuits.[/quote]

I dont think this had anything to do with being anti-commercial..I think it had something to do with being anti "Ill pick up a desgin on groupdiy and put my company label on it" commercial..

There are lots of professional geardesigners represented here, as long as they don't manufacture, say NYDaves eq, or anything else shared here as open source, and sell it as their own design, I think everyones kewl.

Dont make peoples reactions worse than they are -Theres nothing wrong with being dissapointed when seeing a design you made and shared here pop up manufactured by a commercial company. :thumb:

Gustav

i agree with that last message but i think you misunderstood what i meant.

i was talking about how people whined when nydave and rogerfoote (and maybe someone else?) decided to not post some of their designs for fear of being ripped off.

[quote author="solder_city"]i agree with that last message but i think you misunderstood what i meant.

i was talking about how people whined when nydave and rogerfoote (and maybe someone else?) decided to not post some of their designs for fear of being ripped off.[/quote]

Ah! :thumb: sorry.

Gustav

Thanks all for participating. The result so far is not unlike what I expected. Always good to know the people you cyberlive with.

And just keep them coming those votes :thumb:

Bye,

Peter

"Weekend warrior Musician with DIY-interests"
I make this frase "born to rock, forced to work" (good for a song!!!)
I transformed it from a car sticker "born to fish forced to work"

[quote author="12afael"]"Weekend warrior Musician with DIY-interests"
I make this frase "born to rock, forced to work" (good for a song!!!)
I transformed it from a car sticker "born to fish forced to work"[/quote]
:grin:

But that option needn't be too bad at all imho.
Like Johan Cruijff used to say...: Elk nadeel heb z'n voordeel

Latest posts

Back