IEC Connector Panel Drilling

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Siegfried Meier

How is everyone cutting holes out of their chassis' for the IEC connector? I was considering getting a square knockout punch custom made, but that could be over $400 - way too expensive. I've tried drilling small holes around the edges, but it's messy and not great. I have access to a milling machine sometimes, and this is the best, but I don't always have access.

Just curious what everyone else is doing.

Thanks!
Siegfried

I've got the drill-a-bunch-of-holes-around-the-inside-and-file-everything-down method down to a science. I can have a perfect hole done in 5 minutes or less, but it's still a pain in the balls...

You would think that IEC-shaped punches would be readily (and relatively cheaply) available, but I've been looking for one for a while and, so far, no dice... :?

Peace,
Al.

Thanks for the tips guys. Well, I tried the starter hole thing, with a dremel...but you gotta be REALLY careful with that. The dremel bit got stuck and then slipped, cutting a huge gouge across the entire back of the panel. This method still sucks. I don't care what it costs, I want a tool and die person to custom make me an IEC square punch that fits exactly my IEC connectors. This will be useful forever, and will save me days and days of endless frustration. Where do I go to find someone who will make this tool?

Thanks,
Siegfried

when Chuck N is not available or too busy
I use a simple square punch and have to take two bites and then two little trim bites and then file

I also have a one shot puch that is thread and nut style
but I've never been able to use it COS it is just too big for a folded rear panel
and the base and supports clash with the folds
:roll:
even on 2RU I don't cos it can't get close enough to the edge
:sad:

I'll see if I can find a picture
It may help, if you do find someone to make you that die/punch thingo

I used a drill to drill some holes around the outline, and then that tool that looks like a sharp flathead screwdriver (i dont know what its called in english).

Then i filed the edges a bit.

Took about 5min in all, and the results are good.

/J

and then that tool that looks like a sharp flathead screwdriver (i dont know what its called in english).

I think you`re talking about a chisel

I drill 2 10mm holes in diagonal corners & then use a cheap jigsaw to cut the shape out. The jigsaw is good because you can get quite close to the edge of the hole, which minimises filing. I use a few layers of masking tape to prevent the jigsaw scratching the panel.

Wow, I have severely underestimated the power of the simple file. I picked up a couple of brand new files this morning, and within seconds had it square enough to make the IEC fit. I'd still like to find a custom punch, but for now it'll do.

Thanks again everyone,
Siegfried

As I mentioned earlier, I also prefer a hardwired cord with strain relief versus dicking around with an IEC inlet. I have a couple types of strain relief pliers, but I've found that the special pliers are not absolutely necessary to install the strain relief. But you'll sure be glad to have them when you're trying to remove one!

I've seen IEC connectors fall out of their sockets in the middle of a broadcast :mad:. I just don't trust 'em for "mission-critical" applications except perhaps when they're of the locking type that you find on Sony broadcast gear and some other pro stuff.

I just got my par-metal cases and since the only thing that didn't require layout was the IEC, I went for it.

The way I did it was to mark it all out with pencil. Then I used a center punch in all four corners and drilled hole that would go to the edges. Then I used a dremel with a cutoff disk in it to cut out the space between the 4 holes. Once the center piece of metal fell out, I used a file to straighten all of the edges as much as possible. I then slipped the socket into the whole and marked the screw wholes and center punched and drilled them out.

Took about 10 minutes and wasn't that big of a deal. Works for me anyway.

Matt

I second the dust mask.... I've just done 2 IEC cut outs with a Dremmel and DIDN'T use a mask... I was blowing black steel powered snob balls for a day... :green:

Matt

Back