Hammond transformer equivalents?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aharon

I know they won't be the same but is there usable Input/Output Hammonds similar to the Lundahls or OEPs used for the projects here?.
A model# would be amazing help.
Thanks
Aharon

Hammond Broadcast Series 800.

I've used the 812 in an Altec type compressor and vacuum tube microphone preamplifier to excellent results.

The Hammond website has the skinny.

I thought I remembered that some of the interstage tranformers they sell don't have the best frequency response, but Hammond stuff is always pretty conservatively rated, so I don't know if someone was reading the spec sheet or had tried them out.

Bear

[quote author="Bear"]I thought I remembered that some of the interstage tranformers they sell don't have the best frequency response, but Hammond stuff is always pretty conservatively rated, so I don't know if someone was reading the spec sheet or had tried them out.[/quote]

Frank, how did the 800 series fair? rated for 15KHz i believe, but i've always wondered if that's true or just a conservative spec as Bear says...

i scored a good lot of 560Ns a while back and used them in several projects recently, i like them.

My only experience with Hammonds is in guitar amps. My impression was that they were sturdily-made and conservatively rated. A Hammond 50-watt output transformer has as much heft as a 100W model from some other makers.

I looked at their broadcast line a while back, but found them too costly for my liking. Incidentally, you'll often find transformers (and other gear) intended for broadcast use to be rated up to 15kHz, since that's the bandwidth of interest in broadcasting; but the good ones will do much better than that.

Back