Snake cable

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ptownkid

I just picked up 10 feet of 4 pair snake cable to run some xlrs from one place to another and don't know what to do with the drain wire?

All four internal pairs have a 3rd wire, so 4 sets of 3, do i just disregard the single drain wire?

What would it's uses be out of curiosity?

See, Iknew this would be confusing....

When you cut off the external jacket of this cable, there's 4 sets of 3 wires.

So one of the 3 contained in each, gets used as the ground oneach connector.

There is ALSO a single bare drain wire that's not part of any of the 4 trio's......

What is that one used for, and to make a 4 xlr to 4 xlr cable i just ignore it right?

[quote author="Ptownkid"]
There is ALSO a single bare drain wire that's not part of any of the 4 trio's......

What is that one used for, and to make a 4 xlr to 4 xlr cable i just ignore it right?[/quote]

Yes that is correct. Not sure why they put that there, but it is not needed.

I often use that as a strain relief if the application is a permanent install.
So, if you have a convenient place, tie the multicore up using this wire to prevent any unnecessary bending of the cores. This saves having to run each core from the floor up to a rack, console or whatrever to avoid all of the weight of the multi being placed on the strain reliefs of the connectors (or worse, your solder joints).

I even have little eyelets screwed into the rear of my racks to do this.

far as I remember it's for building snakes with boxes on one end - you connect the 'overall ground' drain wire to the snake box and the ground on channel 1, pin 1....been awhile though.

Latest posts

Back