1 Watt 8 Ohm / 600 Ohm SE amp

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Output open on a one watter should not kill the pri.

EL 84 trans will be for pentode operation, triode changes impedance to lower value. How low? I need help on that one.

[quote author="CJ"]Output open on a one watter should not kill the pri.

EL 84 trans will be for pentode operation, triode changes impedance to lower value. How low? I need help on that one.[/quote]

Data sheet says 3.5k in triode operation.

JH.

> Isn't there a problem with running tube power amps without load (or with a higher impedance than intended)?

Unlikely.

Yes, with old shellac insulation, if you left the transformer unloaded, and drove the signal up past clipping, you "could" punch-through insulation. And yet, I never have, in decades of abusing tube and transformer amps. I think modern poly insulation is tough enough.

Also you are probably only going to have 300VDC on that transformer. And using triodes and the soft-pentodes like EL84, the plate resisance will damp any high-voltage ringing.

> trans will be for pentode operation, triode changes impedance to lower value. How low? I need help on that one.

With pentodes, the plate resistance does NOT matter to the optimum load impedance. With pentodes you pick a Plate and Screen voltage, draw a load-line up to the knee of the zero-bias curve, that's your max-power load.

With triodes, your max-power load-line and best efficiency and lowest THD is always the highest plate voltage you can stand and a high load resistance. For low-Rp triodes, you don't have to go to extremes. 6EM7 or 2A3 will be good 2K and up. For high-Rp triodes, which includes most audio pentodes triode-strapped, higher voltage and loads are needed for good power and low THD. (That's the big difference between the tubes optimized for audio-triode use, and ones optimized for pentode mode. OTOH, some of the TV H-sweep pentodes make nice low-Rp triodes.)

EL84 triode curves... uh.... hmmm. There ISN'T any good loadline. Plate voltage rating is low for the plate resistance. 3K5, 5K, 35mA, 50mA, all about the same power and similar THD: 1.5W and 6%. In Pentode, it can make twice the power at the same THD number, four times the power at 10%THD. EL84 is a great little pentode for the same reasons it is a lame triode.

Thanks PRR.

Now I know why they frowned at BTB when I mentioned EL84 as triode, and said I should rather use a real triode then.

JH.

In the realm of 1 watt tube amps, this might be worth looking at:
http://www.dogstar.dantimax.dk/tubestuf/miniblk1.htm

It uses the 13EM7 tube. I've built one. It's cheap, easy, sounds good. I use it regularly as a keyboard/drum machine amp, & it works pretty well with guitar if you run the guitar through a preamp or fuzzbox on its way in.

Tom

[quote author="hodad"]In the realm of 1 watt tube amps, this might be worth looking at:
http://www.dogstar.dantimax.dk/tubestuf/miniblk1.htm

It uses the 13EM7 tube. I've built one. It's cheap, easy, sounds good. I use it regularly as a keyboard/drum machine amp, & it works pretty well with guitar if you run the guitar through a preamp or fuzzbox on its way in.

Tom[/quote]

Cute little amp!

JH.

The trafos are here. Heavy metal! I think I'll need an enclosure of stronger material than usual for this one.
Also, I think it will be more than 1 Watt now. :wink:

Looking for circuit recommendations. I'd love to use the power transformer as shown below, and I want to use a tube rectifier. (Not sure why - maybe just to try it for once, and because the transformer has an extra 5V heater winding.)

What I need:

Side chain of LA2 for driving an optical limiter (ok, I have this part of the circuit).

Two good amps that bring up typical LA2 post-LDR levels to "some" Watts.
Must be very clean in terms of no hum. Doesn't need to be so clean THD-wise: For studio applications I might just drive it to 100mW or even just 1mW. For power applications (speakers), I appreciate some 2nd harmonic components.
Maybe the biggest challange is to have a good SNR when the amp runs at only 1mW. (Just thinking out loud. I don't even know if I should just use EL84, in UL mode maybe, or go for triodes.)

Any ideas / input welcome. It will be some time before I start this project, so I can still look in many different directions ...

So, here's what I have:

Output transformer (2 for stereo):
==================================

M74 core

6 Watt single ended

5.2 kOhm primary, taps at 33% and 67%

(this would make 2.3 KOhm if I only use
2 of the 3 primary sections, for triodes
maybe.)

rated for 70mA DC current

8 Ohm and 600 Ohm secondary

Designed for EL84 SE amp.

http://www.btb-elektronik.de/de/uebertrager.html

Power transformer:
==================

Toroidal 139 Watt

Secondaries:

300-0-300V 150mA

50V 50mA

5V 3A

6.3V 5A

http://www.tubetown.de/ttstore/product_info.php/info/p835_Ringkern-Netztrafo-139VA.html

JH.

i rember looking through a mullard data book last week, and seeing an output valve that might be worth a try. it was two 6 watt (3watt @ 10% distortion) pentodes in one envelope (base B9G). the prefix was ELL, but i can't rember the number .

Latest posts

Back