has anyone built an ssl with dbx 2150a's (curious)

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
G

giantbenny

I am just wondering if anyone has built an sslg using dbx2150a's not that2150a's.

I have just finished on over the last 2 days and i had to make a few minor changes as in lowering the control voltages in the vca's as to achieve correct ratio's etc.

thanks

ben

Hi Jakob,

How do you think they compare with others available? It's just that I have tried with that 2150a's and i feel there are suttle differences.

The That2150's are probably a newer - and thus more well-behaved - chip-technology. When adjusted into minimum distortion I feel that the DBX and the THAT perform the same - but unadjusted the DBX's has more artefacts to show. And I kinda like the things that happens when the VCA sound isn't nulled out.. :razz:

But then again, YMMV

Jakob E.

I built my first SSL with DBX 2150 chips... less clean/pristine comes to mind. I also used generic electrolytics so that can contribute, too.

[quote author="giantbenny"]I am just wondering if anyone has built an sslg using dbx2150a's not that2150a's.

I have just finished on over the last 2 days and i had to make a few minor changes as in lowering the control voltages in the vca's as to achieve correct ratio's etc.ben[/quote]
Hi Ben, I am just troubleshooting one with 2150s and am having some issues. Can you share what these changes were that you made, please?

cheers.

I just built two with 2150s. No changes are needed... except a ratio calibration. I prefer SSLTech method. The thread is listed in the SSL META. Nothing else needs to changed. :thumb:

Latest posts

Back