New console... kind of... Need some words of wisdom.

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sammas

Oh wise and learnered council, if have just aquired a Soundtracs IL3632...

01.JPG

As you can see it needs a clean. It has been out of use and sitting in storage for a few years so i'll need to give it a good going over. I've pulled all the modules to reveil a surprisingly clean interior. Very little dust and dirty and the modules & pcb's look in great condition.

The outside is dusty. I need to replace the front arm rest and i'm in the processing of removing each moulded plastic section and respraying it black as it has faded.

The pots and faders will no doubt need a clean, some feel rather gritty. What do you guys recommend? I was thinking of grabbing a few bottles of deoxit in both pinpoint and spray so I can give them a clean... What about lube?

I've forwarded the PSU to a tech to give it a good going over. It is the one part I want to make sure is done right, right from the get go so i've left it in the hands of an expert.

Im a little anxious about powering it up. It hasn't been used in a few years. I have a spare JLM supply with tranny laying around, do you think it would be worthwhile to knock up a test rig with some edac connectors and xlt pigtails just to try and run some signal through the pulled modules? Just to see if anything goes bung?

It isn't terribly old. It was built in 1991. I've found a soundtracs part supply that stocks everything except for the magnetic scribble strips...

At the moment im not sure what makes me smile more... the thought of mixing on the console instead of in software, or the thought of spending time fixing it up...

:thumb:

from a collegue I heard that this Soundtracs has the best EQ Soundtracs ever build. I'm not sure if a Jade has a better spec or not? ANyone?

Tony

[quote author="tony dB"]from a collegue I heard that this Soundtracs has the best EQ Soundtracs ever build. I'm not sure if a Jade has a better spec or not? ANyone?

Tony[/quote]

The Jade is Soundtracs flagship console... It is followed by the Solitaire then the Inline.

Its amazing how many consoles are fetching pennies on the dollar... I had a chat with a studio owner in Melbourne who said he purchased an Inline3632 for $126,000Aust. in 1991. I almost fell over, I bought this for the same price as what a Mackie 1604 sells for new in this country... :shock:

Anyway, thanks guys.

Think I might post some photos of the "restoration".

Still inline has an eq what you don't find on a solitaire. Maybe Jade? I don't know that console well enough... Any Jade owners in here?

Hi
Don't spray it as a matter of course.
Give ALL controls a good twiddling (probably several times over a few days) and hide the spray until you have really GOT to do it. The original lubrication is likely to be better than any 'after the event' job. If the faders can be opened easily, then wipe them with a clean cloth first maybe relube the slide bar (s) but not the tracks. Expect clicks and thumps until the capacitors reform. Do not leave it unattended while it is powered for a few days otherwise just 'go for it' and have fun.
Matt S

Is this the one from ebay that was in Hong Kong? I saw one go for really cheap on there a while ago while I was also looking for a new board.

It's nice to see some Soundtracs people around here. I just picked up a Soundtracs MRX 32 in January and so far I think it's great. I also have all of the schems for that, though only in paper form. If anyone was to need them I could have them scanned.

Keep us posted on this one.

Matt

Latest posts

Back