GSSL - DBX - VCA's

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

khstudio

This might be dumb but I own 2 DBX 161's with the real can VCA's (not sure exactly which ones yet) & was wondering if it would be worth it to rob them to put in 1 of my SSL Buss Compressors? :roll: Not sure if I'd get more use out of it or not... also, I'd need/want to rebuild the DBX's with one of the newer style VCA's so it was still useful.

Scary thought or what? :?

How do the 160's sound when rebuilt anyway? I have a third one that has a blown VCA & need to fix it anyway... any sugestions :?:

Kevin
KHStudio

Going by the software replications in sonar they have one heck of a lot of character. I say, don't gut them but get them working again and get your SSL chips somewhere else.

I recently opened an original SSL Mixbus Comp 19" unit to see what VCAs they were using:
THAT 2151!!!
I built three units using using different VCAs on each: 2180, 2181, 2150.
To my ears it´s all the same...

building an ssl with th gold cans (dbx 202c) is a totally different ball game, there is no comparison between the 202 and (2150,81,51,55 etc)

they sound totally different.

If you aren't interested in fixing your dbx's then i say go for it, you will love the color the 202 creates.

ben

[quote author="giantbenny"]building an ssl with th gold cans (dbx 202c) is a totally different ball game, there is no comparison between the 202 and (2150,81,51,55 etc)
they sound totally different.
[/quote]

Could you describe the difference?

Michael

Latest posts

Back