Copyright Law of the United States of America

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cayocosta

Copyright Law of the United States of America
and Related Laws Contained in Title 17 of the United States Code
Circular 92

Some Highlights:

§ 201. Ownership of copyright

(a) Initial Ownership. ? Copyright in a work protected under this title vests initially in the author or authors of the work. The authors of a joint work are coowner of copyright in the work.

(b) Works Made for Hire. ? In the case of a work made for hire, the employer or other person for whom the work was prepared is considered the author for purposes of this title, and, unless the parties have expressly agreed otherwise in a written instrument signed by them, owns all of the rights comprised in the copyright.

(c) Contributions to Collective Works. ? Copyright in each separate contribution to a collective work is distinct from copyright in the collective work as a whole, and vests initially in the author of the contribution. In the absence of an express transfer of the copyright or of any rights under it, the owner of copyright in the collective work is presumed to have acquired only the privilege of reproducing and distributing the contribution as part of that particular collective work, any revision of that collective work, and any later collective work in the same series.

§ 203. Termination of transfers and licenses granted by the author

(a) Conditions for Termination. ? In the case of any work other than a work made for hire, the exclusive or nonexclusive grant of a transfer or license of copyright or of any right under a copyright, executed by the author on or after January 1, 1978, otherwise than by will, is subject to termination under the following conditions:

(1) In the case of a grant executed by one author, termination of the grant may be effected by that author or, if the author is dead, by the person or persons who, under clause (2) of this subsection, own and are entitled to exercise a total of more than one-half of that author's termination interest. In the case of a grant executed by two or more authors of a joint work, termination of the grant may be effected by a majority of the authors who executed it; if any of such authors is dead, the termination interest of any such author may be exercised as a unit by the person or persons who, under clause (2) of this subsection, own and are entitled to exercise a total of more than one-half of that author's interest.

§ 204. Execution of transfers of copyright ownership

(a) A transfer of copyright ownership, other than by operation of law, is not valid unless an instrument of conveyance, or a note or memorandum of the transfer, is in writing and signed by the owner of the rights conveyed or such owner's duly authorized agent.

http://www.copyright.gov/title17/

GUYS!@ This is DIY electronics, dont turn this into DIY legal. Stop discussing this now, please. We are protected under the law regardless of wether or not we (or they) understand how the law works, this is why people hire legal experts. Try to imagine how we can benefit from not having a discussion about this in an open forum while things are volatile... This should make sense to everyone.

dave

As I said in the other thread, I am behind soundguy 110% on this.

Let's talk about making musical devices. That's a lot more fun anyway. :grin:

And from what I see, we have some very good DIY discussions going.

Thanks for the facts. I don't think we should whip a dead horse, but many things we do touch on copyright issues.

I'm not sure everybody here (or there) fully understands 201(c).

Circular 14 interprets "compilations". It is weaker than I have seen claimed elsewhere. It clearly does not cover all possible compilations, nor all possible arguments.

Report On Legal Protection For Databases is an interesting (and head-spinning) discussion of databases, which covers some of the things we do. The Report does not come to a firm stand, leaving that to specific cases and/or other venues.

Latest posts

Back