Interstage coupling tranny for gpultec?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

peeceebee

Anyone ever tried a tranny for coupling between the passive stage and the gain stage in one of these, ala the originals?

If so, how was the sound?

Would you get more loss with a (high quality) 1:1 transformer than with the specified .22u cap? If I used a 2:1 tranny, would I get more gain out of it, or am I inventing a perpetual motion machine?

What would be a good candidate for high-quality trannies that would do the trick?

Just brainstorming, I built a two-channel unit that sings, circuit as specified but with a tube rectifier- But the search for mo/better color continues...

Progress in the old days was to get rid of those coloring thingies. Why insert a tranny when Jakob built a stage which made a tranny obsolete?
My GPultecs sound fantastic.

I agree, mine sounds fantastic- I thought, if the audio result was "interesting" at all, it might be nice to have an interstage tranny that could be switched in as an alternative to the coupling cap to produce a different color to the unit-

BUT I'm ignorant as to the theory of transformers as to which one(s) might be interesting to try, and whether or not the result might justify the effort/expense- Theoretically, would a 600/600ohm transformer be optimum at that point in the circuit, or what alternative impedance/etc. considerations are relevant?

I'm not looking to "improve" the unit, it's great already, just considering the possibility of expanding it's sonic textural pallette as an alternative to its already excellent sound...

Latest posts

Back