Racked Calrec PQ-1161-02 Modules - Pics

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Greg

I finished racking up a pair of Calrec PQ-1161-02 for an engineer here in New Orleans. After doing some quick tests, I'd say that these modules are fantastic, and I wouldn't mind having a console full of 'em... those EQs :grin: .

Too bad I had to give them back to the owner today (I wanted to get paid, duh). He was very excited, and before I left he dumped off a pair of Audix modules to rack up. It's kind of wierd, this particular engineer has enough modules to keep me racking for the next 6 months... hmm I could use the money :roll: ... and racking modules is about as easy as it gets...

Anyway, enjoy the pics (even though they're not the best):

1. Racked pair of Calrec 1161-02; Par-Metal chassis engraved by Front Panel Express:
Calrec_Front.jpg

2. Close-up of modules:
Calrec_Close.jpg

3. Overview of the insides and wiring:
Calrec_Top.jpg

4. Close up of JLM PSU, Go-Between, and DI. The JLM products make racking very easy:
Calrec_JLM.jpg

They look great. I really like your trick of mounting the toroid on the side of the box - creates a neater look, and more space between the toroid and the main electronics... :thumb:

Greg, that's nice looking racking you did!

For the guruz here ...

I'm very curious; is mounting the toroid the way you did influencing hum radiated from the powertrafo? I don't mean the distance but litterally the way the magnetism is affecting the surrounding electronics. I've seen trafo's mounted angled 45° for this reason

<influencing hum radiated from the powertrans>

maybe. easy to do an experiment.

core steel used mght be more important.
high grade silicon will pull flux in more, so it does not radiate.
barn roof may be used in cheap offshore stuff.
no sheilding on that guy, so its up to the core.

hmmm, I wonder if a NI core would radiate less hummm.
it ought to, for the extra cash paid, but metal prices are dropping.

That's my next gig:

"Attention audiohiles: get rid of that noisy transformer. buy a Nickel model for 1000 bucks from Crazy Guy Ltd!" :razz:

Thanks guys...

I don't know about angling the power trafo. I mount it sideways for two reasons. The first is to get it out of the way and give me more room on the inside. The second to keep extra mounting hardware out the bottom of the chassis.

I'm sending off the front panel for a pair of Audix 35102 today !!! :thumb:

Hi Greg,

I just found the thread on the Calrec 1161 rack that you did. Nice work!
Do the 1161s have output transformers?

How did they sound?

What did you think of the Audix 35102 modules soundwise?
Those require a line amp for increased headroom right?

Thanks!

The 1161 did not have an output transformer. Unbalanced. These sound very good. I find them most useful on guitars and other strings. I tried to use them on drums on my last session, and opted out for APIs.

I love the 35102 with the line amp added... probably even more than 1161. But they are both very nice modules at a much cheaper price point than the Neve modules.

Latest posts

Back