Leipzig bottle mic: modern or vintage capsules?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

synthi

Hi!

I just got a leipzig bottle (RFT CM7151) without head.
Now I need a capsule for the mic and I`m in doubt about getting a vintage M7 capsule or one of the new m7 based capsules (blue, red or violet) I`ve read that almost all the vintage m7 capsules are destroyed or in the process because the materials used and age, so whats you recomendation? Does anyone compared the blue or violet capsules to original m7s?
Also in the neumann forum there is a recomendation to change the electronic inside the 7151 to CMV 4 or CMV5 electronics, I just found the CMV3 papers, does anyone have the schemos for those CMV mics?

Thanks!

Synthi.

Hi, i recently read hear that gefell still makes m3 capsules on the old machines from the same material for about $500. I also saw it on their website. It sounds like the safest choice since I hear reskinns seem to cost about $400.

Regards,
Hejsan

We have a 7151 at Korby right now. I'm pretty sure that the work being done is just a matter of disconnecting the internal power supply, making a new external supply, and making sure the rest of the circuit is up to spec. Let you know what happens.

Hey Miko,

I`m planning to do the same to mine using an external PSU and replacing old parts, please keep us informed!
Kubi, I think the Gefell capsules are only capsules...

Synthi.

Hi Synthi,

This may interest you:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=7390841286&rd=1&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&rd=1

I know that some people are using them, so they can't all be bad....

You can buy the old Gefell M7s on Evilbay (in the form of LDC heads - eg. M*)- you could maybe get an adapter to fit it, or take the capsule and fit it in a broken M7 head...

Hi Synthie,

I would go for an original Neumann-M7. And since they were manufactured in Gefell they will do service for it. But for cheaper reskinning at the same quality try
http://www.thiersch-mic.de/ (has the RFT-bottle on the main-page...)
Ask him about the aging-problem. The M7s on ebay usually sell at around 250 Euros.

Chris

Thanks for the replies!!

Well, then I`ll go for an original M7...

someone is offering this capsule, is not cheap but seems to be in good condition, the guy say is perfect working... What do you think??:
m73.jpg

m72.jpg

m71.jpg

Latest posts

Back