split vs. center tapped input output transformers

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sleeper

I'm getting my head around this transformer thing, CJ et als recent posts have been great great great but one thing hs me a bit stumped.

Is there any reason i can't use a center tapped input or output transformer
where the design calls for a split?

I've got some triad a-57j line to line 50/250/600ohm to 50/250/600ohm
30 to 15000hz +15dbm transformers that seem like good candidates for an 1176.

I also have some utc a-21s 50/200/500ohm to 50/200/500ohm
30 to 30000hz +15dbm transformers.

I think I'll try these out for sure, but I'm curious about the what and why.

Thanks
Kelly

most of the time a center tap is just an internal splice of coil A with coil B.

so it is the same as a non center tapped transformer that has two windings with all four leads brought out.

in the later, they are simply giving you more options for hookup.

try those 1:1 's and report back immediately.

Thanks CJ, That's what you taught me. Just a little low on experience and patience for redoing things.

I'm in the process of placing my standoffs and figuring out where to mount things right this minute. That's why I wanted some amount of confirmation. I still have to wire up all the switches before i can test these.

I'm making 2 stereo 1176s, so i think the triads on the front end (mostly because i have 4 of them more than anything else) and on 1 pair I'm going to put utc a-21s on output.

The other stereo 1176 I going to try a few different things...
Here's what I have to try out

UTC h-25s 500 to 500/125 split
Freed 32035 made for scully 600split to 600 split
AND, I think just out of curiosity I'll have a listen to the nib UTC w-786's
these are 600split to 600 split but they are only rated from 300 to 10,000 cps at 15dbm

I' will report back when they are done, and i think I can host some photos now that I changed my server.
Expect to hear something in a week or 2, just depends on the amount of time I can find for this.

Later and thanks for the info.

Kelly

Hi Dave CJ et al.

Just a few inferences here from what I've read around these parts.

The reason I ask is I'm kind of a surplus nut. It's part of the DIY thing that I really like. Me I'd rather end up with an 1176 "style" compressor that sounds great and I scored some interesting transformers... The anxiety of trying to replicate a "vintage" unit is simply too much for me to get my head around. Does it sound right? It feels like Bertrand Russel kicking me in the head.

So a bifilar would probably have the 2 windings running side by side in the winding process right?

Now this seems to make sense in that you could hook this up in parallel for higher levels/lower saturation point. but if your single winding is +15dbm, you may not need that extra load capacity anyways.

Splitting, signal out, and meter out off one trafo. O.k, I can only do this with a bifilar.

what else though?

:?:
If I were designing something from scratch, or more likely, designing something that would work cool and make use out of some bitchen surplus find, when would you choose a split winding and when would I want a center tapped?

I'm so close to not being confused anymore that it almost hurts :thumb:

Kelly

You need a CT for push-pull circuits.

Or two coils. Then you can create the CT by joining a hot and a cold.
DCR could get unbalanced, depending on xfmr, but for line level,, we no care, eh?

Latest posts

Back