Hello Fellows!

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What a bunch of drama that went down..Bill Roberts here.

I got an email (thanks) that this was starting up and I congradulate you all for getting the act in gear fast..many thanks to Ethan for his quickness.

When I joined RO, it was really a pretty cool place. Things got out of hand and then the user fee was established and many left feeling bitter. I still have close to 500 emails of folks asking me questions and I answered them all. When Stephen Paul called me and asked me a bunch of unanswerable questions, I knew that ryhme and reason was taking a back seat. When I invested hard cash to get the apro project going, the plug got pulled in the 11th hour and I had 19 frustrated artists letting me know that...... what was planned, got hi-jacked and we scrapped the project. The project originated to generate cash for RO and the artists. I learned a bitter lesson. SP and myself spent long hours on the telephone doing brainstorming sessions. He wanted administrative control and Chris did not trust him with that..so basically, SP hauled ass. Now that he is gone for good..he is looking down on the whole situation and even may be pushing the buttons of progress. My passcode and user name was declined when I tried to log into RO shortly after and my avatar was changed to a black Man looking down and sad without my approval. That in itself is a sick joke and after asking that it be changed, it did not. I logged on with a new email and user name (actually 3 different ones to access from various computers) so I could read the tech talk. I logged on about once every 4 or 5 days to read all you fine folks postings.

Just a little while ago, I tried to log on and myself, I am now banned. Thank goodness for the email but I really am curious what the hell happened. I read here most of the postings but I still don't get it.

What sparked this turn of events?

Well, I am happy the community is intact. I wish the ego situations at RO could be examined from within because really, their are some really good folks there but then again, banned from that forum, all I say is WTF this time??

Fill me in fellows if you will.

Glad I can come here and read.

Also, Is Kev comming over here? What are the chances?

Bill

Thanks Mark!

(I wish I could read some of it when I want to as well)

I have been hanging out in George Massenburgs parlor as of late. I was supposed to meet with him last Sunday but I was in New Orleans doing a mixdown and he was doing a clinic at tape op so we missed each other...but we did play phone tag some!

Business is kicking ass again..lot of fabulous things in the works!

Thank you so much for the welcome!

Hi Bill,

post # 2
my original statement stands

I want to know who owns these :

www.groupdiy.com
www.groupdiy.net
www.groupdiy.org

I have been trying to do that for months but not so easy from Australia.

currently they direct here, prodigy-pro
this too is relatively unknown to me

I don't know who registered it, and why it's being offered for free to Group DIY, but if he's anonymous, how can we know he won't pull the plug after 6 months when we start using the domain name.... The fact it's registered by someone in Canada, where Chris lives, makes me suspicious.

I say, ownership and management of this domain name (if the registrant really wants to donate it to Group DIY) should be given to a leader/member of Group DIY. He can't remain some anonymous, nameless, individual.

I don't want 6 months or 1 year down the road, this guy will be in a fight with Group DIY, and then cut off the domain name.

Maybe he's well meaning and won't do that, but I've been around the net a very long time and disputes with regards to domain name are always nasty. I say we must own the domain name, otherwise, we shouldn't use it. Heck, it's only $7.95 a year to register a .COM

Owel

[quote author="Kev"]Hi Bill,7
post # 2
my original statement stands

I want to know who owns these :

www.groupdiy.com
www.groupdiy.net
www.groupdiy.org

I have been trying to do that for months but not so easy from Australia.

currently they direct here, prodigy-pro
this too is relatively unknown to me[/quote]

I got an email Kev to come here and I did. I am amazed how how fast everyone got the message. I really think extreamly high of you and everyone in tech talk. By nature, I repair and build my own equipment as well and I feel that between the bottleheads and tech talk, I got all the answers. I did not even post there hardly at all...simply because everyone is on the vibe and a question I would ask...would be asked that same day and answered that same day by others. Very serious bunch of solder slingers here. I feel honered to be amongst you all.

Looks like Waldo. I wonder why they not only are registered but why they are pointing right here?

Someone is pretty keen!

I see the writing on the wall. People will bookmark it and then it will all of a sudden not work..and then they will have to search for this site and rebookmark it.

Seems rather fucked up if you ask me.....

post# 3

[quote author="owel"] ... The fact it's registered by someone in Canada, ...

I say we must own the domain name, otherwise, we shouldn't use it. Heck, it's only $7.95 a year to register a .COM

[/quote]

don't jump to conclusions

I'm not stupid
I've been trying to do that for months if not years
not that simple and not the easy from Australia and on slow net
I was looking to a larger plan but couldn't work fast enough

I've said too much already

[quote author="owel"]But if he's anonymous, how can we know he won't pull the plug after 6 months when we start using the domain name....[/quote]

Whoever registered those domains cannot "pull the plug."
All that they do is redirect here, that's all.
If we find the owner of those domains to have intentions that are not in our interest, by vote we can block the redirect here.

For now the OFFICIAL way to get here is "forum.groupdiy.com"
(It currently goes directly to groupdiy.com, but I will fix this in the next few minutes, at which point you will see it above the forum.)

Oh come on guys, I've done nothing but help where-ever I can. I have been talking to others involved here to make sure my stance is clear.

I have NOTHING to do with RO as of the end of March this year due to a fall out with the owner.

Yes, I registered the domains, and offered control of hosting to a few people (free of charge, only one banner to cover any expense), recommending a democratic approach to the control so this sort of thing would not happen again. When I got not response as to a 'yes' or even a 'no' on the hosting, and discovered that someone else was hosting, I re-pointed the domains here.

Those of you who know me, know I don't f--- around. I've almost always contributed quietly. I wanted to not cause any friction as I still have respect for some at RO, so I did so anonymously, only informing a few core people.

Take me out back and string me up if you want.

W.

Yes, technically he cannot "pull the plug", so to speak.

But he can delete the SOA entry from his DNS server, and that will give us a dead domain name.

>For now the OFFICIAL way to get here is "forum.groupdiy.com"

Excellent.

Kev. I don't mean anything bad about my post directed to you. I'm not jumping to conclusions, but while he remains anonymous, I'm being skeptical and not trusting. If Scenaria said I registered it, or CJ said I registered it, then I say we go use the domain name. But right now, it's just some anonymous fellow.

[quote author="Admin"][quote author="owel"]But if he's anonymous, how can we know he won't pull the plug after 6 months when we start using the domain name....[/quote]

Whoever registered those domains cannot "pull the plug."
All that they do is redirect here, that's all.
If we find the owner of those domains to have intentions that are not in our interest, by vote we can block the redirect here.

For now the OFFICIAL way to get here is "forum.groupdiy.com"
(It currently goes directly to groupdiy.com, but I will fix this in the next few minutes, at which point you will see it above the forum.)[/quote]

post# 4
the last one for a couple of days

[quote author="TheRealWaldo"] I wanted to not cause any friction as I still have respect for some at RO, so I did so anonymously, only informing a few core people.[/quote]

I guess this is my fault as I asked the question above without knowing the answer
should never do that :roll:

I have all emails I have ever received or sent
I have all PMs as above
from all forums
call me anal

perhaps I was just not core enough :roll:

No I don't want to take you out back and string you up.
I know how that feels ... when I get down I can tell you about it :grin:

The Clown that Eats ... you all thought I was joking.

I DIY there fore I am :cool:

Waldo
Thanks Man. You did a very noble service to the recording community and for me with the Artists area and us being able to critique mixdowns. I really really would like to run a forum like that again. I am in a studio move so I will be off line here and there until I get the fast service wired into the new faclity..in the meantime, cable modem is not half bad running 2.5m/bs

Good to see you too Waldo!

Latest posts

Back