SSL talkback amp/comp...

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

peeceebee

Has anyone done a cleaned-up schematic for these things with all component values etc., that might be useful to an "electronic idiot with a soldering station" like myself?

Some of the circuitry on the schematic I've seen doesn't make any sense to me (of course, most of the circuitry I see on schematics doesn't make much sense either... BUT I can follow it for construction purposes if it's explicit enough... :oops: )

Many thanks!

Just curious about what you're planning to use the SSL module for.

I have an RCA BA-78A talkback/comp module from an RCA BC-8 Consolette, and am thinking about what I should do with it.

They apparently have a nasty limiter that's fun for extreme, trashy signal processing-
As my audio tastes frequently run to the extreme/trashy, I'd love to build one-
There's a commercial unit called a "ridge farm boiler" that apparently is basically this circuit, for well over 1k-
Looks like a simple circuit to throw together, but the original schematic as posted leaves an amateur like me with some questions-

I know we are a hardware Island here, but why not try those free ssl plugin ( from ssl themselves ). Maybe it will sound close enough to that sound that you need. I just dont think that you will use it so often that you really need the hardware. Its not worth the effort imho.

Best Regards: Jasmin

I for one wouldn't mind building one of these for it's actual intended purpose. A listen back limiter. The control surface I use (Digidesign D-Command) has two listen back mic amps with no limiter.

The listen back mic is really handy when communicating with a drummer for example. When talking with the drummer I often have the auto talk back engaged. This latches both the talk back and listen back amps on. The problem is when the damned drummer starts playing before I have time to switch it off. It's hella LOUD.

I've looked at the schematic on Jakob's site, but I too have scratched my head on that one. I really don't think I have the experience to decipher it.

It would be great to bring it up on the patch bay first. You never know when you need that Phil Collins "In the Air Tonight" drum sound. :green:

FWIW, I wouldn't need the mic amp section either. I can use a cheap M-audio AudioBuddy for that.

Cheers,

elco

[quote author="nacho459"][quote author="Housemeister"]but why not try those free ssl plugin ( from ssl themselves ). [/quote] Free? How? Where?[/quote]

http://www.solid-state-logic.com/news/lmc1_pc.html

It's awsome and it's free. VST only.

Cheers,

elco

(Broken..space..bar)

It..may..be..free..but..it..sounds..like..dung.
I've..used..it..on..a..few..mixes.
Big..losses..in..the..lowend.
I..would..imagine..the..real..unit..retains..full..bandwidth.

[quote author="DESOL"]I..would..imagine..the..real..unit..retains..full..bandwidth.[/quote]

Well, i've neved used the real one, but how you would imagine that a limiter made for the talkback would care about full bandwidth :roll:
It wasn't intended to be used in recordings.. the rest is story.

[quote author="kruz"][quote author="DESOL"]I..would..imagine..the..real..unit..retains..full..bandwidth.[/quote]

Well, i've neved used the real one, but how you would imagine that a limiter made for the talkback would care about full bandwidth :roll:
It wasn't intended to be used in recordings.. the rest is story.[/quote]

(broken..space..bar)
I..was..guessing..as..i..was..losing..ALOT..of..lowend..and..it..didn't..seem..ATALL..normal..

Good..point..tho

I..remember..reading..a..few..other..posts..somewhere..
where..a..few..guys..had..the..same..experience..
with..it..that..i..did..and..the..one..fellow..had..used..
the..hardware..unit..extensively.

I..sure..hope..that..isn't..normal..lol..even..if..it..is..a..talkback..comp.

[quote author="peeceebee"]Unfortunately my recording setup doesn't use plugins, so I need hardware...[/quote]

Consider..yourself..fortunate!..lol

as an SSL owner, i have to say that the best place to use the talkback/limiter is as an additional drum mono room mic. when used in combination with stereo room mics, you can get a pretty cool rock and roll sounds.

i personally never found and other use for it....

progear .

Ok, thread resurected.

Have someone tried this one yet?

Im trying to figure out the schematic on jacobs site and there are some
things that are unclear to me.

First if i want to build this can I skip the whole input amp section and replace it with a opamp based amp for line level just before the 22k resistor (I would just use one amp aswell).

Also, there are three point on the schematic named TP1, TP2 and TP3 how should these be conected?

And some component values are unclear, specificaly the cap before TP1 and between TP2 and ground and the resistor at the 10v source going to the 741 opamp at the right side.

http://www.gyraf.dk/schematics/SSL_82E33_Talkback.GIF

[quote author="matthias"]I already built a protoype of this circuit.
it's a nice tool, but it is also a limited tool, more useable for a single effect, than a general compression/limiting device...[/quote]

Thats what Im after, I want something to realy smash drums and loops in
an abusive way. I hope its posible to get it to fit inside a guitar pedal size enclosure and plug it in where ever I see fit.

How did you interpret the TP1, TP2 and TP3 on the schematic? And what did you do on the input side?

[quote author="matthias"]
I'll build a new version soon with some circuit adjustments and additions to make it more useable... [/quote]

What kind of adjustments did you have in mind?

Latest posts

Back