What Should I Do With a 1966 Denon Tube Reel 2 Reel?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here is the head amp in all of its glory. It's in pretty much perfect condition except for that broken tape guide. The VU meters aren't getting that mysterious 2V ramping voltage anymore either... Christine? The broken piece sandwiches the tape and what appears to be a small two-piece magnet in a tray below the heads. The guy who had it before me looked for that guide for about ten years and gave up. He bought it in 1966 in Japan while in the military.

Anyone know what the model # is?
Denon1.jpg

If anyone is really really attached to it you had better speak up very soon.

Okay, I wanna see the transport, borrow a camera.

http://audiotools.com/r2r.html

http://www.dm-pro.jp/sitemap.html, write and ask them what it is.

probably an ancestor of:

http://www.dm-pro.jp/products/broadcast/dn_3602rg.html

one note: this thing might actually be worth something to a far flung collector; proceed w/consideration before chopping it up, considering any circuit inside it is easily replicated, especially w/the cash you'll net selling it. And since there aren't any i/o xt's, there's nothing in there to covet.

It's kind of like chopping up a complete but non running '38 Nash coupe so you can put the steering wheel in your Honda. Not everybody wants a '38 Nash, but somebody does.

Those are awfully nice meters tho...

It runs at 9.5 and 19cm per second which is 3.75ips and 7.5 ips so it's probably not a broadcast machine; the bottom eq switch is NAB but I can't read the top selection. IEC? What's it say? Relays are for transport controls.

The meters need signal, so I don't know what you mean, they're not getting voltage.

If it went together it'll come apart. Mechanical engineers aren't allowed to design stuff that won't come apart, no matter how badly they might want to.

The bottom EQ setting is 'NARTB' and the top is 'BTS.' If you read my previous post, I stated that there was an extra @2VDC in the meters that slowly ramped up. This problem has disappeared now.

Here are some more pics. I've already torn up some of the wiring on the transport side. Nothing that couldn't be redone easily though.

My plan is pretty non-invasive sofar. Perhaps disconnect a few K caps and change a few K resistors by adding more R in series. I would probably keep the original parts inside of the machine, adding a couple of transformers somewhere. I would probably disconnect the power on the tape head bias stuff, no need for that.

Basically I see six channels of preamp here that I could use. I have the :

L/R Mic/Line preamp
L/R Play head preamp
L/R playback/line amp

And I could keep it all in the same box! Perhaps I could even use a breakout box for all of the inputs... Hmmm...

The yellow line points to the broken thingie. No, not the head but the little metal cup below it. I removed the preamp cover for the pics.
DenonPic1.jpg

All of this stuff goes into a trapezoidal wooden box. Is it spruce?
DenonPic2.jpg

DenonPic3.jpg

Son of Ampex 600 series.

Yeah, someplace out there -- probably in Japan -- there's a collector that will want it, and pay you more for it than the parts could be worth.

Peace,
Paul

Back