Just got a cool mike, but..

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hejsan

How do I open up a Sennheiser MD403 ?

It's that cooler looking version of MD409 if my mic knowledge serves me, heres a pic to freshen your memory:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=7387453924&rd=1&sspagename=STRK:MEWN:IT&rd=1

I just bought it, but I feel something is loose inside and I'd like to fasten it.
When I unscrew the two screwes on the sides I'd still need to jam the sides open, and I have a feeling that can't be right..

Also it has a tuchel connector I think, how does that map to a XLR?

Thanks, :sam:
Hejsan

[quote author="hejsan"]

It's that cooler looking version of MD409 if my mic knowledge serves me...

Also it has a tuchel connector I think, how does that map to a XLR?
[/quote]

Yes, it's supposed to have the MD409 capsule. I think the bass may roll off slightly earlier though.

Small Tuchel Pinout:

Pin 1: Hot (+ve)
Pin 2: Ground
Pin 3: Cold (-ve)

XLR Pinout:

Pin 1: Ground
Pin 2: Hot (+ve)
Pin 3: Cold (-ve)

Be careful when opening it!

[quote author="rodabod"]..the bass may roll off slightly earlier though.[/quote]
Yeah.. but it looks so cool!! :grin:

Thanks rodabod! :sam: :thumb:

[quote author="rodabod"]Be careful when opening it![/quote]

Does anyone have more detailed instructions? :roll: Is it ok to force the sides apart?

Thanks,
Hejsan

Hey Hejsan :razz: ,

Forgot to say, the microphone is the HN model - this means it has dual output impedance (200 Ohms and Hi-Z). You will need to select the correct wires to connect to the XLR.

The two wires which give 200 Ohms should measure around 5 - 20 Ohms on a multimeter...

Thanks roda. I've just come back from the countryside recording a band and I opened up the mic there.

I found out that the loose rattling thing in there was the capsule. It had been held in place at three points with cusion-double-tape that had rotted to dust. I guess I'll just put some new double tape there unless anyone has a better idea.. Everybody has its Achilles heal, even german design :wink:

Rodabod: What should I do with the extra wire? Tie it to ground?

As it was set up, there were 4 different wires: +, -, screen and that third pin.

xlrs use the ground for screen, but what's the deal with these things?

Thanks, :sam:
Hejsan

[quote author="hejsan"]
I found out that the loose rattling thing in there was the capsule. It had been held in place at three points with cusion-double-tape that had rotted to dust. [/quote]

I just got an MD407 and it was rattling too. Was there a white plastic case around the capsule with three screw holes for attaching it? Mine was broken at one screw. Just use something that will last - zip-ties, glue, tape, etc.

What should I do with the extra wire? Tie it to ground?

As it was set up, there were 4 different wires: +, -, screen and that third pin.

xlrs use the ground for screen, but what's the deal with these things?

Right, ground is ground - so the cable braiding goes to pin 1.

Now, there are 3 wires for +ve and -ve....... Basically, the transformer has 2 taps for the 2 different impedances.

One wire is common to both and is always used. You then need to choose the correct wire from the remaining 2 which gives low impedance - use a multimeter.

The common wire is -ve and the 200 Ohm tap wire is +ve. I just leave the other wire floating (not connected).

I wrote a little about the MD421HN here:

http://www.groupdiy.com/index.php?topic=9317&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=md421&start=15

Good Luck,

Roddy

Latest posts

Back