Mono inputs into stereo summer

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mick

I've used NewYorkDave's 'balancedmixnetwork' schematic (thank you very much Dave) to make a 16 input stereo bus in a patchbay just to see how well it works without spending too much money. I have to say very well (I only did a quick test to see if it was noisy, it wasn't, so don't ask how it sound's for mixing as I haven't tried that yet), now for some mono
inputs, I was wondering If I could make a mono bus, with four or six inputs,
then split that bus to come out on two patch leads and plug them into a stereo pair of the original stereo bus?. Would the 4K3's in Dave's schematic be all that I would need or would there be something else
needed like the Rx at the end of your balancedmixnetwork ?. This is just me being cheap and the fact that some 48 way patchbay's came my way for nothing, plus their in 2u boxes so their shielded and I thought it was worth a try.

Mick

Ok would it help if I supplied a pic or two, here's the 16 input summing bus

1140436616_orig.JPG

and here's what I had in mind to save making Y cables, I just put this together quick to show what I had in mind, but I don't have a interface with multiple outputs here at the moment so I can't just try it out

1140436643_orig.JPG

I can then take the mono bus out split on two patch cables and just use up one stereo pair on the 16 bus, cheap, direct and a fairly pure path I was thinking, so is it a stupid idea ? or have I totally misunderstood the concept ? is the calculation I need already here somewhere ?

I would be most grateful for any help

Y-ing one source into both sides of a stereo input IS usually the answer. And no new math.

If you don't want to make Y cables, you can connect one jack through two resistors to both sides of the stereo bus.

If the jacks have sufficient switching on them, you can wire a stereo pair so that feeding both jacks gives stereo, feeding just the Left jack feeds both Left and Right bus.

Thanks PRR
But the way I've put it together in the second picture, having a mono bus with the four jack's connected with 4K3 resistors and then daisy chaining that bus to one of the stereo pairs of the original summing bus kinda like a sub group, would this not be out of balance with Dave's idea, i.e. the mono channels will be louder or quieter than the rest of the stereo inputs ?. I don't know because I don't have a clue about impedance and stuff. I'm just being lazy because for a mono input I loose two input's of the stereo bus, so if I have Kick, bass maybe a vocal I would have used up 6 inputs of the stereo buss but if the best solution is to redo the 16 and make it more then I'll do that.

Thanks again

Back