fets

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gus

http://recforums.prosoundweb.com/index.php/t/9790/0

Klaus said techno wanking.

I was thinking of repling but it would have math (no techno wanking)

That thread makes me laugh. You can make a lot of fets work in a microphone circuit but are they working at the max of the design?

There are several reasons I don't bother with most of those forums anymore. You stumbled upon one of them. :grin: Harvey's place is still great to go to, though, because he's so down to Earth and willing to help.

You know, something I've always wondered is, in the DIY world of microphones, do I really need to bother with phantom power for solid-state mics? I mean, why not power the solid-state mics I build with custom supplies like their tube counterparts?

I think I need to get in on the next 797 capsule group buy, because I want to explore microphones now.

EDIT: When the heck did I get to 1500 posts? :shock:

[quote author="Gus"]http://recforums.prosoundweb.com/index.php/t/9790/0

Klaus said techno wanking.

I was thinking of repling but it would have math (no techno wanking)
[/quote]

As Consul says, you've hit the nail on the head.....

How can you discuss microphone transistor choice without "techno wanking".

How can you discuss microphones without "techno wanking".

WTF. Although I go over to that forum for little bits of info. or to discuss, it just seems so counter-productive to have this fascist regime they have going on....

What are you supposed to do? Push it too far and the thread gets locked...

You think they would realise that this forum here has far more and better quality information. It is totally strangled over there, which is sad, because people like Klaus Heyne clearly have a huge amount of knowledge to offer.

If I were you, I'd just reply as you would like, and allow Klaus to delete it if he wishes. At least someone (eg. like me) might benefit.

Currently it consists of nine posts which only cover transistor equivalents (wow...), and FET bias testing (with no background).

I was thinking Bevis and Butthead saying techno wanking.

The info is good in the thread. I do it a little different.

Yea, I posted on that thread but the way you need to tip-toe through (and around) technical stuff over there is annoying as heck. Often I PM people over there and direct them over here for good technical info. Apparently FET choice is not 'sexy'.... :)

That other forum's dialogue is amazing---and the idea that a too-technical discussion would be barred is pathetic and despicable. Perhaps if the tech talk were in Latin :razz:

A command of technical understanding is clearly threatening to the überlord(s). Sure, one can babble away with a lot of buzzwords and even throw down equations, with the object to intimidate---I suppose that could be called wanking, but it seems it is a more aggressive act than solitary self-stroking.

Here, we have many good examples of clear explanation with a good mix of theory and practical examples, which is invaluable. It is also an art, and rarely done well. That it is freely offered and readily forthcoming testifies to the strengths of the community.

[quote author="Brian Roth"]Speaking of FETS:

http://www.linearsystems.com/

Anyone have any comments?

Bri[/quote]

Got some SK170 samples in SMD a while back and haven't had the chance to try them yet. I should get some of the SK389's to try because I am in the midst of a new design with high-endish pretensions and it would be nice to have an alternate to the diminishing supply of discontinued Toshiba parts.

The folks there are responsive though, and I had a bit of email correspondence about the construction of the parts (they are not slavish copies of the Tosh btw). They evidently know what they are doing.

I got some 170 and 389 from Linear System, they sound like the Toshiba parts to me...
no measurements of any kind tho.

Maybe we could do a group order to get them very cheap?

cheers!
Fabio

Back