OT - PayPal message - In re PayPal litigation

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rafafredd

Anybody received this message also?

What do you think about it?

I thought I could bring it to the lab, because many people here also use PayPal...

My guess is that its a scam. I have been getting fake Paypal emails for several months and I don't have a Paypal acct. Lots of fake crap looking like it comes from eBay as well.

Don't fill out any info on any of the pages it links to! Go to Paypal's website or eBay's website and check the status that way.

Be careful out there...!
Charlie

I was actually going to post the same thing.

I had gotten some obvious scam paypal emails in the same day I got that class action thing, which is the only thing that made me think twice about it. I havent done any research into it, but it seems like it would be easy to determine wether or not its legit. I wish I knew how to do all the finger stuff and find out the info of where the emails are being sent from, etc.

dave

[quote author="SonsOfThunder"]Don't fill out any info on any of the pages it links to! Go to Paypal's website or eBay's website and check the status that way.[/quote]
Here's a link I found somewhere: https://www.paypal.com/settlement/

Best regards,

Mikkel C. Simonsen

NEVER reply to messages asking for your information comming from either paypal or ebay.
They are SCAM!!
Ebay and paypal policies never ask you for your info using email. Please forward the messages to either: [email protected] or [email protected], they will tell you if they send the message to you.

Best Regards,

Synthi.

The email looked legit to me, so I filled out the short form claim. I never had to enter my account number on any part of the form. Here is a news story I found about the lawsuit:

http://zdnet.com.com/2100-1104-5258259.html

I have one too
this stuff scares me
reading everyone's posts but don't have any opinion yet

this stuff really scares me
the net can be so good and the net can be so bad ... :sad:

www.paypalsucks.com

There have been several thousand lawsuits pending against PP for some time according to above link, I believe they even have a section where you can apply to add your name to the group litigation.

I do not use PP for these exact reasons, I had the double-billing problem as well as others and cancelled my account... It's a shame PP has such a monopoly on the market, it seems as if there is a scant selection of alternatives.

Justin

I used to use Paypal. I never had any problems, myself, but the horror stories I heard from others made me nervous. When I closed my checking account that was linked to P.P., I decided not to sign up again with my new checking account. The main reason, for me, was because Paypal made it too easy to buy stuff off eBay, mostly old parts and transformers and junk I didn't really need.

Nowadays, to pay for an eBay purchase, I have to spend my lunch break down at the post office, to buy a money order and mail it to the seller. That makes me think twice about hitting that "Bid" button; I have to really want it badly enough to go through the trouble. Eventually, I stopped visiting eBay pretty much altogether--I haven't logged on in weeks. This is a good thing! I really don't need to buy more crap that's just going to end up taking up space in my storage unit.

With all moderation,

I think that you're going to find an excessively bad opinion of paypal on a site like paypalsucks-dot-com, and a number of people who have indeed been relying on the paypal system to con other people -by cancelling payment and other tricks- have been spoiling it for the rest. Unfortunately, paypal now are being a little pre-emptive in closing or freezing other people's accounts, as soon as they see anything that resembles questionable behaviour.

I bought a dead CD changer on eBay for my boss, to provide a source of parts to repair his changer. The seller decided to 'cut & run', not shipping the goods to about fifty buyers all at the same time. I tried to get the payment refunded to me, and paypal were immediately suspicious. Only when all the other buyers started reporting fraud from the same eBay user did Paypal accept my version of events.

Now that was very inconvenient for me, but not a huge amount of money. -And I can't say that I blame PayPal; I'd be suspicious too. My activity -though entirely understandable and justified- looked like a way that someone might try to cheat the system.

I imagine that several people on the 'paypal sucks' site might have been actually operating questionably, and a good number of others might have been legitimate and honest, but something they did perhaps looked like a 'scam-symptom' -as in my case... Certainly I read a few postings and people were annoyed about how long it took to resolve things, but I don't believe any of it is PayPal deliberately trying to cheat people. Perhaps they're snowed under with customer support questions, perhaps they have other problems, I can't say. However, I have my paypal account linked to a free checking account that has less that $200 in it at all times. If there were any sort of hack-related disaster, that's all that I could lose.

The only time there's been any problem they were suspicious. They had a right to be. I would be suspicious. It took a couple of weeks to resolve, but all was worked out in the end. That's fine for me, but from what I see of people generally, perhaps 25% of the population thinks that's just not good enough and would feel aggrieved. -That would give more than enough people to fill up a "Pay-By-SSLtech-Sucks-dot-com" website if I was in that business.

Just my thoughts... -which are worth no more than you paid for them! :wink:

Keith

I now have 60 transactions. Some for stuff I payed for, but most for PCB transactions in here. Never had a problem. Maybe its the ebay/paypal combo thats trouble.

Gustav

I did a website for a client that operates a tour service and I setup his website with PayPal... twice a year, his activity would pick up and people will be depositing thousands of dollars, sometimes up to $3000 to pay for the tour package... with 25 people going on the tour, you can imagine how much money is coming in a span of few weeks.

PayPal gave him a call and asked him about the transactions... so he said he operates a tour service and a tour is coming up in a few weeks so people are starting to pay their installments... Paypal was happy with the answer and thanked him for the business.

Back