Sifam AL19B meters for my first SSL...

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AudioguyII

Hi,
I ordered the Sifam AL19b because they had them in stock, I had read that I needed the 1mA version which, now, I am not sure I have...I did a seach and read something about needing some resistor shunting for these meters if it isn't the 1mA version, can anyone please elaborate?
On the meter, it says:
1.734V
EXT 3K6 Ohms
No M89278/2-0012
And in the little star in the top right corner... "1.5"

Is this for 1.5 mA?

Thanks for the help.

does the faceplat of this meter have a "VU" in it? instead of saying 1.75V it should have a 100uA

this would be located just underneath the Sifam Logo , which is just to the left of the word "SIFAM".

i have the same meter but with the 100uA but i still have the 1.5 in the star in the top right corner. Not sure what that means

where did you get the meter from?

and this is the one i just ordered

http://de.farnell.com/jsp/endecaSearch/partDetail.jsp?SKU=969813&N=0

hope it will look great and work :grin:

Digichild,

are you looking to make a 2U rack for use with that meter. Because it looks like it its the AL29. if so, then that will look great!!! if not, then.... its not the right size. and the Al19 is what you should be lookning for. but you at least got he 100uA right.

The faceplate is a beige/yellowish color, says "AL19" in left bottom corner, an "VU" in right bottom corner. "-" top left cornerand "+" top right corner ...???
Any Ideas?

Thought so...

That is a VU meter, which responds to AC (Alternatinc Current). what you need for the Gssl project is a meter that responds to DC (Direct current).

you need the non-VU meter. the one that is not rated in Volts, but in Amps. (if a meter is rated in Volts, it is a meter that responds to AC, if the meter is rated in Amps, then it responds to DC)

you want the model that has the rating of "100uA" on the sticker inplace of where youhave "1.75V"

where did you purchase this meter?

This is the message I got back from MeterDistributor for the PPM Sifam meter:

"The part number for a AL19 1madc with PPM scale is IS7389 and your cost
would be $98.95 and delivery would take 5 to 7 weeks ARO."

you dont need a PPM scale, just get the white background one, print the PPM scale from Frank's site : http://www.nrgrecording.de/html/vumeter.html, and then paste that to the template of the white one you have.

The white background one that is 100uA is $48. Model number R15641. He has them in stock. i just got 2 from him a few weeks ago.

You got the right physical model, but the wrong balistics....

Synthetic,

if you were going to go that route, I would say spend the $119 and get the real meter that is used in the unit. the AL19B is a little different looking from the real PPM14 that is used. when installed though, they look really similar. (the AL19B is slightly wider, and has a little bit of a larger window.)

the delivery time is that long because they have to be shipped from England. They might even haveto be made and then shipped. (instead of being pulled from warehouse stock).

Oh, I thought I had specified the actual meter. Though maybe I'll get the one you mention here and paint the needle white. :idea:

[quote author="AudioguyII"]
if I was to use the 100uA one... what would I have to do to make it work properly?[/quote]
I expect putting a suitably valued resistor in parallel to the meter should work. That 'shunt' resistor should take 900uA while the meter itself does 100uA. Calculate or try&see.

Bye,

Peter

[quote author="AudioguyII"]does this solve it, just posted on other thread...
http://groupdiy.silentarts.net/martthie_08/gssl/calibration.html

thanks[/quote]

Right, answer seems already there ! Nice.

meteradjust2K.gif

Latest posts

Back