cheap xlr female plugs from reichelt-good or crap?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

digichild

reichelt.de sells this (XLR 3KU-N) for 0,46 ?... are these ok for studiouse? or do i have to buy neumann for 2,95 ? ?

the cheap one is nickel plated...i know that the cables should be of best quality,but with plugs i am unsure :roll:

Maybe then get those at www.musikding.de, they're slightly more expensive (...) so must be better but at EU 0.70 still cheap :wink:

http://www.musikding.de/product_info.php?cPath=45&products_id=593

But serious, I'm wondering as well how those plugs could be made available that cheap. I like to keep it simple with this: frequent plugging & replugging with 'A-brand' types and semi-permant stuff with these budget connectors. But that's for home-rec & band-use, don't know about your situation.

Bye,

Peter

[quote author="digichild"]the cheap one is nickel plated...i know that the cables should be of best quality,but with plugs i am unsure :roll:[/quote]

I'd say, stay away!

I never managed to solder the plugs without making them too hot so that the plastic get's soft and the pins move and you won't be able to plug them in anymore... You have to be really fast with soldering if you don't want to destroy them.
The nickel plated ones look really cheap, the gold plated ones look better, but still the problem with the temperature while soldering. Somethimes the housings of the plugs have too large tolerances and you simple can't plug them in and get the unplug-lock to snap in.

Get the Neutriks from Reichelt and you don't have to care about your cables anymore! Ah, and the cheap ones don't come with plastic insulation inside the housing, so you also run the risk to produce shorts inside the plug if you are not carefull.

I know the price looks tempting....

Olaf

I'm sorry to hear that.

I'm not affiliated with Musikding etc , but I can state that those XLR-F & -M from them are fine. Had none of those problems, and they do come with the insulation ring.

And BTW, those types have the additional advantage that (unlike the 'A-brands') you can combine two plugs (say a F & M) for a floating small 'box' to mount for instance resistive pads in (thought it was SSLtech who suggested this here a long while ago :thumb: ). You remove both those small 'U'-sections at the strain-gauge end(sp?) & then combine the plugs.

Bye,

Peter

hmm-the one from musikding looks the same like from reichelt to me...

anyway just need it for my homestudio...

[quote author="digichild"]hmm-the one from musikding looks the same like from reichelt to me...

anyway just need it for my homestudio...[/quote]

Hmm... I see. Well, all I can say is that those XLR-F & -M plugs that I bought from MD, some 10 of each, soldered fine & plug & conduct fine here ! Maybe just try some from them, for the price you can't go wrong.

Didn't check those out but I gave up years ago with cheap/noname XLR's - always trouble making them fit in anything but the similar branded jacks! :mad: Been a Neutrik guy ever since.. (don't come and talk to me about Switchcraft.. don't like them at all!)

[quote author="clintrubber"][quote author="digichild"]hmm-the one from musikding looks the same like from reichelt to me...

Hmm... I see. Well, all I can say is that those XLR-F & -M plugs that I bought from MD, some 10 of each, soldered fine & plug & conduct fine here ! Maybe just try some from them, for the price you can't go wrong.[/quote]

did you connect them to neumann sockets?

[quote author="digichild"][quote author="clintrubber"][quote author="digichild"]hmm-the one from musikding looks the same like from reichelt to me...

Hmm... I see. Well, all I can say is that those XLR-F & -M plugs that I bought from MD, some 10 of each, soldered fine & plug & conduct fine here ! Maybe just try some from them, for the price you can't go wrong.[/quote]

did you connect them to neumann sockets?[/quote]

Neumann ? In my homestudio ? :shock: :grin:

OK, you'll mean Neutrik. Yes, they fit.

I can test some more, plugs & sockets if you want.

Ah, and they fit the ADA8000, that's were I needed some cabling for and we don't want to spent more on the plugs than on the complete box, right ? :wink:

Latest posts

Back