some finished Pultec EQP1A - 'pimp my pultec'

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
TOO MUCH FRANK, tell us that you bought this in an auction or whatever! :evil:

Your stuff always looks so darn good !! :thumb:

Wow.
If it wasn't for the missing fuse holder on the front....

And I just spent two days suffering with Illustrator drwing the decals for an EQP-1A.

Please don't tell me you have all the dials hidin away in a jpg somewhere?

:?:

[quote author="CJ"]Wow.
If it wasn't for the missing fuse holder on the front....

And I just spent two days suffering with Illustrator drwing the decals for an EQP-1A.

Please don't tell me you have all the dials hidin away in a jpg somewhere?

:?:[/quote]

Uhh, didn't you have those already ? Thought I lifted already something like that from the vacuumbr-site months ago :wink:

Must be something else...

yeah.
Can't decide wether to try multiple dials on one decal.
A lot of the times, you get your file printed to LAzertran and the scaling comes out just a tad different.
I usually take a floppy into Kinko's and have them run it on their $35,000 Tektronix printer, which gets it done without all the gaps and missed ink.
But you have to talk the guy into using that paper, as it can cause problems for some printers. We are talkin smokin paper jams, so keep fire exstingusher handy! :grin:

I matched the caps by ear and so look at the weird freq bands.
21 kc? Whats up with that?
This Pultec goes up to 11!
Guess I heard something there:

lazer_1.jpg

Everybody seems to be engraving (or dymo-taping :wink: ) these days, but that recent 'beige' G9 with the Dakaware-style knobs looked very nice, and in that kind of style the lettering might do the feel/look-thing imho better than engraving...

eh, not so sure about that anymore after those 5 blue Pultecs... :roll:

Problem with the Lazertran is that you need a light panel
for black letters to show, or dark chassis with white lettering.
With engraving, you have more options for the
dial ink, and thus, more options for the color of the box.

I see, I knew about the light panel requirment, but wasn't aware the L'tran could also be done in white.
Which colour do you have in mind for your unit ? And how many HE , the full three ?

ok...some more info...

radiance:
I just looked at some pictures... your right! It seems like the original one has unfaceted pilot lamps!
smilie_dududu.gif
So , pssst :green: (hey, if i remeber correctly you used a faceted pilot light on your very nice eqp1a3, too! )
zensur.gif
:cool:

TomWaterman:
no SRPP - it is solid state
The well known circuit from Steffen. I thought about making a complete tube pultec with all the transformers... but I haven't done this. I had the chance to check the solid-state thing with an 'enhanced' :roll: tube pultec. The solid state had have less bass response, ahem no... the tube version had have more bass responce... the solid state version was more... linear. Probably because of the not existing transformers.
I read that the original pultec sounds different to the 'enhanced' pultec. Maybe because of the missing interstage transformer? I thought the interstage transformer is there to adapt the impedances if the tube circuit... the mercury EQ-P1 for example has a switchable interstage tranfsformer as far as i know.
In the end I decided to use the solid state version. It saved me hundreds of Euros. :wink:

clintrubber:
The square knobs are new ones from caltronix.
http://www.caltronix.com/catalog/cat89.htm
I think cosmocorp.com have them also (or actually is the manufacturer?)
A group-member was nice enough to buy some for himself and send me the ones I needed for my pultecs... group build :wink:

rafafredd:
there is only one transformer in there... the power transformer :wink:
I bet it would be nearly impossible to find the original transformers.

quadwould:
The FPD is on my site, but I added some more text to the left side (wher it was made... ahem... actually... where it was not made)
tongue2.gif

I can upload the last version if you want.

Here is some information about the knobs, switches...
(be careful... the original unit has an un-faceted pilot light) :wink:
http://www.nrgrecording.de/html/pultec_knobs.html

I tried to refresh the used dakaware knobs...

176-7666_IMG.jpg

176-7669_IMG.jpg

I used a machine for this.... :
http://www.nrgrecording.de/html/knobsrefreshing.html

Regarding the colour...
I tried to use a RAL colour... but the original colour seems to be different. In germany you can have any colour you want in the building center (custom mixed)... but i was not satisfied...
And painting the panels isn't easy. I can't/want do it myself. Jakko can/would do it maybe... he did this with his pultec... you have to clean the panel...add a primer... sand the panel... add a primer... sand the panel... laquer the panel... sand the panel... laquer the panel.. let it dry in a special place (warm and clean) at the paint shop. If you want to do this at home you have to wait days... or even weeks until the panel will is finished.
If this isn't done properly the colour will flake off. I sent one panel to schaeffer and the edges flaked off because the guy at the paint shop haven't done the ground coating and primer... at the edges (I haven't told him especially) and schaeffer has to mount the panel in their CNC maschine. But all panels were made at one time... I asked schaeffer if they could be careful and add some plastic or duct tape to the panel sides and it worked.

I can tell you the exact colour code for my pultecs, but you have to find a paint shop which uses colour from "SPIESS/HECKAR".

The recipe:
200g 5024 RAL
50g 5009 RAL
40g SPIES/HECKAR 553 Lasurazurblau
40g SPIES/HECKAR 502 schwarz

Bauman:
the 5 1176 are nearly finished... meter LED light has to be finished :wink:

CJ:
Why spending much time with illustrator? :green:
The frontpanel file is online since month. You can print it directly on whatever... and if you would ask me to draw something for you... i wouldn't say no. :wink:
Some guys still use the frontpaneldesigner as a layout software for designing their silk screen layouts! Its a nice and easy to use program.
What about making a EQP1A3? White text isn't possible with lazertran... but black colour would like very cool on a silver anodoized panel i think.

I'd seen some cheap decal paper on some diy guitarFX... The trick is to use much clear varnish... let it dry.. another layer of clear varnish.. let it dry (1-2 days every time) in the end the decal boarder are totally invisible. I can look for the thread again... (german forum) but the picture will show it.

Kind regards,
Frank.

[quote author="nrgrecording"]ok...some more info...[/quote]

That's all amazingly thorough info, thanks !

clintrubber:
The square knobs are new ones from caltronix.
http://www.caltronix.com/catalog/cat89.htm
I think cosmocorp.com have them also (or actually is the manufacturer?)
A group-member was nice enough to buy some for himself and send me the ones I needed for my pultecs... group build :wink:
:thumb:

quadwould:
The FPD is on my site, but I added some more text to the left side (wher it was made... ahem... actually... where it was not made)
tongue2.gif

I can upload the last version if you want.
Now first you correct that pilot lamp :wink: , but after that, would be nice that file.

Info city! Thanks!

Yes on the edges. Easy to remove paint there if not careful.
Round sharp edges with sandpaper before painting.
Takes a week to paint a panel, especially in the winter.

Transformers?

Input Triad HS-56 -a little tough, usually outnumbered by HS-66.
Inner - Triad HS-29. Tougher than tough. I mentioned HS-27 in Black Market but no bites.
Output - S-217-D, as mentioned before, forget about ever owing one of those guys.

OK, which font do you like?

pultec_font.jpg

[quote author="Lindell"]
pultec-large.jpg

:grin: XOXOXXOXO :grin:
heheheh.....sorry[/quote]

eeeek :green: The "atten sel" knob is wrong - it should be a davis molding type! :roll: :green:
Lindell, have you compared your EQP-2A with the UA plugin? Can you tell us something about the sound? Would be interesting to know.

Latest posts

Back