some finished Pultec EQP1A - 'pimp my pultec'

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
[quote author="nrgrecording"][quote author="Lindell"]
Lindell, have you compared your EQP-2A with the UA plugin? Can you tell us something about the sound? Would be interesting to know.[/quote]

Make that 2 who would like to find out the difference between plug and beauty.

[quote author="nrgrecording"]ok...some more info...
radiance:
I just looked at some pictures... your right! It seems like the original one has unfaceted pilot lamps!
smilie_dududu.gif
So , pssst :green: (hey, if i remeber correctly you used a faceted pilot light on your very nice eqp1a3, too! )
zensur.gif
:cool:
[/quote]

But Frank, I PM?d you one day with a supplier face UNfaceted red pilot lamp [ http://www.ducksdeluxe.com/ddmisc.html ]. I thought you?ll try to get them. I bought 4 of these and I hope one of these will finish on a blue 3RU panel. :wink:

But Frank, I PM?d you one day with a supplier face UNfaceted red pilot lamp [ http://www.ducksdeluxe.com/ddmisc.html ]. I thought you?ll try to get them. I bought 4 of these and I hope one of these will finish on a blue 3RU panel. :wink:

What? Only 4 pilot lights? Only one Pultec?
gruebeln.gif
:green:

Whaoo. Thanks for the link! Uh... pilot lights from Las Vegas USA?
smilie_eyecrazy.gif

[quote author="laitue5"]I bought 4 of these and I hope one of these will finish on a blue 3RU panel. :wink:[/quote]

In fact I hope I?ll get enough cash to build four Pultec or more? 8 inputs summing box with one Pultec on each insert would be? not hope just dream. :green:

You can see these on this picture: http://img202.imageshack.us/my.php?image=dscn22369da.jpg

There?s a little detail that I don?t like: the color of the metal is a little too dark. Maybe these pilot lights have been anodized. I?ll try to get those shiny with acid maybe.

I plan to get silkscreened panels. You mention that we can use frontpanel designer, but there?s no export option to .dxf, .eps or whatever. Do you have a plugin? I think Schaeffer have plugins but they sell it. :?:

In fact I prefer to work on Illustrator cause it?s my job and it?s easier for me. Do you have a scan of the real panel :?:

Michael Krusch has a solution for this:
Install a Apple Laserprinter II printer and enable printing to a file.
Install the Front Panel designer, open the fpd and print to the Apple printer. Then it asks you to save a file. This file is a postscript file and can be imported in most of the vector graphic programs (CorelDraw, Illustrator, Freehand).

I myself don't have the exportfilter - I don't have an engraving machine. :sad:
The friend who makes the silk screen layout with the frontpaneldesigner gives the frontpanelprogram and the file to the company which does the silkscreen... so they can print directly out of the program.

I don't have a scan of the real panel. But I did a picture of an original unit... be careful... its a EQP-1S (other frequencies..)

http://www.nrgrecording.de/assets/images/pultec_original.jpg

Thanks for the « print to file trick » :wink: I should have found this myself.
And thanks for the picture. With my Pultec panel picture collection, I?ll find what is this bloody font.

I tried http://www.eprintdriver.com/ , I guess there?s maybe better alternatives (opensource or free) but this one does the job (evaluation version).
I converted a .fpd to a .dxf ? exactly the format I need for silkscreen. :grin:

Sorry to be soooo late here.
Frank, those Pultecs look absolutelly great. So much atention to the details. :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

chrissugar

I have not A-B Tested the Pultec Plugin to a real one, But i have compared it to a Manley Pultec. they are prety close. the plugin does function very very similarly. but i think it lacks a little when trying to add "Air" and is also a little thin in the low end. Overall though still very useable. just not an original....

and the Blue-Tubes pultec. Low-Fi ish in sound, but Killer!!! its like a real Pultec with crappy distortion. brilliant for already overly distorted guitars!

But I am still going to build 4 Pultecs Damnit (2 solidstae and 2 valve)

Man Frank i hope the studio you build will be large. Using 3HE cases for solid state pultecs sure needs space :green: Oh that leds to the question, can those pultecs be stucked into 1HE cases ?
Oh and please we want to see some pics of the gear with the hood taken off :green:

Flo

[quote author="Infernal_Death"]Man Frank i hope the studio you build will be large. Using 3HE cases for solid state pultecs sure needs space :green: [/quote]

I speaked to a guy who made DIY 1176s years ago. I asked why he isn't making DIY things these days...
He said... sometime you won't have any more space for more gear... and too much compressors and eqs... will not help in the mix.
After that I planned to make 10x19" racks.

[quote author="Infernal_Death"]Oh that leds to the question, can those pultecs be stucked into 1HE cases ?
Oh and please we want to see some pics of the gear with the hood taken off :green:
Flo[/quote]

1HE? No problem.
Regarding the guts... its made of the solid state schematic. A group member already made a pcb of this circuit some time ago. I changed some caps and the inductor values and adapt the pcb layout. Don't know if he still want to publish the layout here. But... the problem is the inductor. I haven't seen much pultecs with handmade inductors. The sowter inductor is about 60? which is much. One idea would be to use the small inductors from farnell (same which are used in the g-pultec). But... you'll need maybe 19 of these.. :? they cost around 1,22? so around 24?. But then you'll have 21 frequencies.

One idea is to make only a filter pcb. So it is your choice which input and output circuit you like. You could also use the g-pultec circuit.
I made a pcb layout. This 'enhanced' pultec with more frequencies is on my wish list... when its finished and its working I will upload the pcb layout.

I'm out of the loop with the Pultec clones, are you saying these are all IC's & no tubes or tranny's?

Just curious, what's the aprox. cost for just parts on 1?

Also, where can I find the schematic? You said it's from Steffen?

Thanks Frank,
Those look KILLER & your site is VERY helpful :thumb:

Kevin
KHStudio

Hi Kevin.

Yes, you're right. All ICs - no tube, no tranny's. I myself was also afraid of doing this. :wink: It is well known that tubes and transformers sound good. That seems to be a general fact somehow. And... i learned tubes are sounding better than ICs even if they are overdriven. Tube distortion sounds maybe better than 'IC' distortion made with diodes. But I heard ic/transistors cricuits which sounded much better than bad designed tube preamps. Some manufacturers are putting a tube in their products for the reason they can say.. its tube gear. A mic preamp with an IC for the mic amplification and a tube output stage... don't know if this will produce the sound you want. Although it can sound very good.
I also like the sound or the saturation of transformers. There are transformers out there which are nearly 'unhearable'. But why spending much money for something you can't hear. For input buffering a 20cent IC can work very good. Maybe they need some compensation which makes the IC thing slower but it works good. And why am I doing these pultecs? I can't afford a real one.. or 5 of them. The pultec don't need to have tubes... I'd seen API opamp versions of original pultecs. I think the reason why the pultec was done is to make the filter circuit independent of in and output impedances.
However, I had the chance to compare the IC version with a 'hi end' tube version from a manufacturer who just sells pultec type eqs. There was a difference. But I don't want to spend hundreds of ?s more to make a pultec which can maybe sound like this. And I also wanted to make more than one EQ. I think there is not much difference of making 1 or 5 units.

The costs for one channel... Hmm... hard to tell. I collected the parts over some month and had most of the parts already at home. Take a look at the schematic and you'll see which components are needed. Take a look at the parts-site and you'll know the price for the mechanical parts.
You can make a pultec with tubes and transformers close to the original and you have to pay 700? - or you can do an ic based version for a few ?s.

schematic:
http://www.diygallery.de/DIYsites/eq/Pultecschemo.gif
as PRR mentioned you can also use the 5532 for the gain makeup instead of the BA38x. So you have only one problem... the inductor.

DIY Jedi Steffen has an answer to this also:
herz.gif
:wink:
http://www.diygallery.de/DIYsites/inductor.html

Here is a picture of the inductor. You can also wind this one by hand.
inductors.jpg

Hey Frank, are those Epcos cores?
Please give me some details about AL and what RM they are.

chrissugar

Frank.... you complete and utter bastard..!! :green:
No wonder you haven't finished your studio yet.

Very nice work.. :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

Chris:
Epcos are RM8 - i think it was N48. N48 is also used by carnhill at the 1081 inductors. At farnell for example you can get a core set for N48 and N41. You have to buy the bobbin and two clamps seperately. For higher mH values you have to use thin wire which can became a problem. ('snap' aahhh nooo!) :green:

Some time ago i bought an oold coil winding machine. Works very nice.

winder.jpg

This month I bought a new unwinder with wire break for different wire sizes. Finding the right components isn't easy. I found a source for EI75 lams - quality M111-35N. Minimum order is 1000 lams. When I find some time and money I'll try to wind some transformers maybe. At least this is what I would like to try.

wirebreak.jpg

Frank,
I think you helped me find my next project.
How much would you charge for a matched set of inductors for the Pultec?
I'd like to be the 1st buyer :green:

Kevin

[quote author="khstudio"]Frank,
I think you helped me find my next project.
How much would you charge for a matched set of inductors for the Pultec?
I'd like to be the 1st buyer :green:

Kevin[/quote]

I would like to be the 2nd :green:

Back