Worlds smallest PM1000 mixer - pictures

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Emperor-TK

OK, so it's not a whole mixer, but a few channels racked up to look like one...

The channels are still stock. I'll probably play around with capacitor upgrades in the future. I know that some of the caps must have drifted, because they all have slightly different tonalities to them. But for now, I am sort of digging on the slightly raunchy sound that they have.

I put Edcor WSM600/600 xformers on two of the outputs. Like I mentioned in a previous thread, I'm not too crazy about these. There seems to be a loss in high end and detail compared to the transformerless (unbalanced) output. I wired in phantom power switches for each channel and put new polarity switches at the output transformers. The inputs and outputs are hardwired to my box, but I kept the card connectors for easy removal of the channel strips.

PM1.jpg

The chasis is made out of 1/4" plywood and shielded with copper flashing for roofs. That's a very cheep way of shielding a wooden box. Each phantom switch also drives a status LED. The gutted steel chasis below is from a microATX computer power supply. This holds the output transformers. Power connections are made through the cinch connector. The unit takes +48V and drops a rail down to ~45V for the op amps through a string of diodes. I am currently running the units off my bench supply, but I have a 48V linear supply on the way from Mouser.

pm2.jpg

Edcor inside... It looks like the diodes on the terminal strip are touching the steel chasis, but they are actually pretty far away. It's all a little bit ghetto, but it works.

PM3.jpg

The whole reason to "rack" the PM1000's in a mini-mixer format was to fit into a blank space I had in my Argosy desk.

PM4.jpg

Home sweet home.

PM5.jpg

-Chris

Of topic, but are you happy with that Tascam US 2400 control...
I was wondering if I should get one.... :?

j

[quote author="Joechris"]Of topic, but are you happy with that Tascam US 2400 control...
I was wondering if I should get one.... :? [/quote]

I have one. Nice controller, especially at the new price ($799).

[quote author="synthetic"]Still not sure what you do with a 3-channel mixer. Just for EQ processing?[/quote]

I was just trying to be funny. It's actually just three channel strips in a mixer-like box.

The Tascam controller is pretty cool. It lacks some of the functionality of the Mackie control, since it doesn't have nearly as many individual buttons. You'll wind up needing to hit shift keys to get to some functions. For example, there are no dedicated record enable buttons. You need to hit shift+channel select. Still, the 24 faders make up for the minor inconveniences. If money were no option, I would prefer three Mackies, but I sold my Mackie to get this and am very happy.

-Chris

Back