me too, me too! - G9 pimpin' :-)

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Black Dog

Here is my humble contribution to the week of the pimps :green:
I finished this a month ago, with some great help from our local forum(thanks again, guys) and I'm very happy with the result :grin:

g9_front.jpg

over_front.jpg

over_back.jpg

print.jpg

Big thanks to Jakob for the project, Gustav for the boards and Frank for the Frontpanel :thumb:

Lars

That looks awesome! I like the Gyraf style. Also very clever toroid wireing you have there. I may copy that since I have to make one of those G9's in the near future....

:thumb:

thanks alot for the compliments, guys :grin:

[quote author="Purusha"]How much $$$ did 2G9 cost you?[/quote]

I don't really know - I shopped for a few projects at once and bought most of the parts in bulk(is that the right term?), without keeping track of the expenses..

I don't really know - I shopped for a few projects at once and bought most of the parts in bulk(is that the right term?), without keeping track of the expenses..

I'm working on my first DIY project at the moment - 8 G-SSLs. Some approximate figure would be fine, more expensive than SSL? :roll:

What about the difficulty level of building G9 compared to G-SSL? Although I am still a total newbie in DIY, the G-SSL isn't such a difficult task after all. You never know what will be my next project. :cool:

This DIY thing is like a drug... :green:

[quote author="Purusha"]I'm working on my first DIY project at the moment - 8 G-SSLs. Some approximate figure would be fine, more expensive than SSL? :roll: [/quote]
:shock: that's alot of GSSL's - I would guess that the G9 is about 2 or 3 times as expensive as a GSSL. Due to the price of in and output trannies, tubes and the 2 powertransformers..

[quote author="Purusha"]What about the difficulty level of building G9 compared to G-SSL? Although I am still a total newbie in DIY, the G-SSL isn't such a difficult task after all. You never know what will be my next project. :cool:[/quote]
Well, since this is the first project I have finished by myself, I think this can be done by most. There is alot of info on Jakob's website and on this board as well, regarding building the G9 and getting the parts. But it is a more dangerous project than the GSSL, because of the high voltage feeding the tubes. So be careful when poking around :thumb:

[quote author="Purusha"]This DIY thing is like a drug... :green:[/quote]
Tell me about it... :roll: ... :grin:

so Black Dog,

how does it sound? first impressions?

The way you built it looks surprisingly similar to a NYD 2-channel two bottle pre I've almost finished. Except I had no PCBs.

[quote author="Kingston"]how does it sound? first impressions?[/quote]
It sounds great..! Very clean even at high gain. I have tracket overheads, linebass, distorted guitars and vocals with much succes :grin:

as mentioned in another tread....it´s preamp city here at the moment :green: .....and this another worthy citizen :thumb: well done! :grin:

steff

[quote author="Black Dog"] :shock: that's alot of GSSL's - I would guess that the G9 is about 2 or 3 times as expensive as a GSSL. Due to the price of in and output trannies, tubes and the 2 powertransformers.[/quote]

I gathered a few freinds to make it as less expencive as possible. I did checked the elements for G9 and it costs at least twice than GSSL.

[quote author="Black Dog"]Well, since this is the first project I have finished by myself, I think this can be done by most. There is alot of info on Jakob's website and on this board as well, regarding building the G9 and getting the parts. But it is a more dangerous project than the GSSL, because of the high voltage feeding the tubes. So be careful when poking around :thumb: [/quote]

I wish I could hear the G9. I have the Amek CiB as my main pre at the moment. Does someone know for any cheaper DIY pre out there which would be a great more colored pre next to my CiB?

Back