my double 1176

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Dear Mo - I'm a bit of a newbie to this forum. But I ain't no newbie to DIY building insanity. I went to your website and looked at the photos and schematics for your 1176. Where do you get those multi-position switches for attack, release and ratio? I definitely want additional ratios on my 1176. Are those purchased parts? They look like they are. DW.

Hi Dana:

The switches are, like the colored push buttons mentioned earlier, salvaged from an old broadcast console. Although not of ultra high quality, they are good enough for me plus they can be fairly easily set up for 12 positions and 4 decks. The manufacturer is an Italian company but I forget the name.

Regards,
Milan

Wow. :shock: :shock: :shock:
The inner look of your compressor is impressing me even more (been on your website).
Is it just my eyes or are the pcbs handdrawn in the style of the BAV283???
The modular concept looks verrry cool.
Super oldschool look all over.
Wow.

:thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

Hi:

Thank you for visiting my website. Yes, you are right - the PCBs are indeed hand-drawn. For such one-off projects, it's much more cost-effective to draw the PCBs yourself than to have them printed to order. Glad you like the end-result. :grin:

Regards,
Milan

[quote author="moamps"][quote author="hejsan"]
Question: Are the colored buttons the kind that turn colored when you push them, without leds? Where did you get them?
[/quote]

Hi,
Yes, they are coloured switches without LEDs, manufactured by ITT CANNON, type SCHADOW. I salvaged them from a broadcast console. They are very good and reliable switches. As I have more units than I need, I intend to sell the surplus. New ones are also available from
http://www.buerklin.com
Sets of keys, type ITT Industries F.. (G075.500) 4 keys, 4?pole (part number 15 G 213)
Matching actuator pushbuttons.. (G075.800) FA201 (part number 15 G 434)

Regards,
Milan[/quote]

Hi thanks for the info. There are no good pictures on that site. Just to be shure: Are these knobs that are only colored when active, and then when they are pushed again the color magically dissapears?

I remember this from what I think was an Amek Angela.

Thanks,
Hejsan

Hi Hejsan:

I'm not really sure about the switches used in the Amek Angela console but I know that the color in my switches does disappear when the buttons are released ("pushed again" :wink: ). A much better view of the switches is currently available at
http://cgi.ebay.de/Siemens-C4-Vintage-Mixer-SUPER-HIGH-QUALITY-W295-V276_W0QQitemZ7396454186QQcategoryZ23785QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Regards,
Milan

Exactly the ones I was thinking about. They are the coolest I have seen yet. and no need for a led :thumb:

Thanks for the tip,
Hejsan

One more question: Do you need to have the switches for the magical color knob to work, or can you fit it on any generic switch?

Thanks again,
Hejsan

Hi Hejsan:

I believe you can fit the push buttons into any standard switch. But, take care that the switch you choose has a right metal frame to support the switch(es). The frame must have a square hole (see the white arrow in the picture below) through which the hook of the knob should be inserted in order to fix it to the frame.

b4cbdbdf.jpg

Regards,
Milan

Thanks for taking the time to give such a good detailed answer :thumb:

Have a cyber beer :sam:
regards,
Hejsan

Back