Green pre questions- PSU transformer hook up (230v)

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi Peter,

I bought the switch from Maplins (kind of the UK equivalent of radioshack as you probably know) and they give scant details of the items on their site (and a really crappy picture). No manufacturer or model number.

I just know it's a 6A/240v illuminated dpst rocker switch. Here's the link anyway:

http://www.maplin.co.uk/Search.aspx?doy=8m3&criteria=rd17&source=15

I have the RD17T.

I'll take a picture of the pole layout when I get home from work and post it up.

Cheers

Nick

OK I messed around with the switch and a battery and LED.

Here's the switch:

5dfaf97d.jpg

Top left is pin 1, top right pin 2, bottom left pin is 1a and bottom right (yes, you guessed it) is 2a.

and here's a couple of shots of how I wired the switch up to get the LED to light up:

363af9d5.jpg

63e4c134.jpg

So to clarify:

1- LED +
1a- Battery +
2- LED -
2a- Battery-

So it looks to me like uk03878's guess was good:

"Live in 1
Live out 1a
Neutral in 2
Neutral out 2a "

Does this make sense? :?

Cheers

Nick

OK that didn't work.

Everything's wired up as described in this thread.

The lamp in the switch stays on regardless of which position it's in but worse still there's no power coming from the PSU at all.

I don't really know where to start with troubleshooting, would it be easier if I just got a DPST switch with 3 poles? :?

Godders, did you ever get an answer to this question?

I just found this thread, reading along, eagerly awaiting the exciting conclusion, and then the thread just ended... :sad:

I bought an illuminated rocker switch from Mountain Switch - and strangely, it has NO DATA SHEET available, that I know of. So I did a search here to see how it's done...

<EDIT> OK I thought about it for a few minutes and figured it out.
You're already using a DPST switch. You have the live and neutral leads hooked to the wrong side of the switch which would explain why the switch is always on. (Bulb gets power without switching action.)

Since I don't own a time machine, this post is absolute useless to you.

But it's making me think I need to write a tutorial once I've sussed the ins and outs of illuminated power switches for other nëubs.

Ha, thanks anyway. :green:

Yeah I figured it out by checking continuity between the poles.

Cheers

Nick

Back