Audiotester setup? problems!

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Svart

Hey,

I finally got my laptop running again after getting hit by lightning through the phoneline.

I threw audiotester on it but am unsure of how I am setting it up because i am getting really strange stuff.

can someone give me some pointers on how you hook your gear up?

output L to device, through device, back to mic input of computer(no line input here) I select the mic input in the mixer and i can see that it is working.

now when I actually run a sweep I don't see anything but a huge mess no matter what I run it through. I ran it through the i/o of a simple buffer and I get this wacky mess all over the screen. I then ran the output to the input and get a straight line.

I assume the loopback test is showing that it's working due to being a straignt line at 0.

maybe an impedence thing?

I tried loading and unloading different ways and places with no change at all.

the problem with this is the fact that nothing is truly calibrated. I simply cannot trust that a simple 5532 buffer circuit shows no responce below 500hz and then peaks around 2k and then drops before 8k. that is what I am generally seeing. But.. I tested it again through another circuit and i get another completely funky responce with peaks all over the screen.

something is not right and I cannot put my finger on it.

any ideas?

Cross-check the in/outs of AudioTester with a scope.

Edit the in/out correction files to compensate.

Try different settings in "audio out-parameter"

The mic input might be speech quality? Overloading?

Check the mixer settings for your soundcard very carefully. Make sure that ONLY your line-in is selected for recording, and ONLY the line-out is selected for playback. Otherwise, you'll get symptoms exactly like those you describe. Don't ask me how I know :wink:

I have had two problems!
1 the soundcard is not fully duplex so you'll have feedback inside your soundcard.
2 when running audiotester with an audiophile 192 I had to use the optional asio driver.

When you do sweeps the channel that feeds the testobject must also go back to the other input that is not connected to the test object. (as reference)

You can select different setups by clicking in the setup picture.

thanks guys, I'll be trying all that!

only problem is that I don't have a line in on the laptop, only a mic in. I can select the mic in as the input though..

yeah, I am sure that it's just another problem. there are not many choices for pcmcia sound cards at all.. very few for USB too.

Well, there's the Audiophile USB, which aggravated me with its lack of software controls but DID perform excellently when I did a loopback test. I used the headphone out rather than the line out because the line out didn't have enough oomph to drive the line in to within 1dB of full-scale. There was a 1dB mismatch between L and R channels when using the headphone out, however.

You can find it for about $140, street price.

I posted a thread asking for advise on cool USB sound blobs to do this stuff with. High-sample rate type stuff.

1 reply.

What kind on Maudio or Presonus thing would be best for this in the under $300 range? Audiophile USB?

Lar'

Back