PCB vibration testing?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pbassred

Does anyone know where I can find out about vibration testing of PCBs? This is probably not the right forum but I don't know of any manufacturing forums.
The company I work for experiences problems with intermittent faults on BGA components. I'd like to sumulate a tough life. I can't think of anything more rock and roll than shaking it to death!

A friend of mine once had a full-time job of knock-testing TC2290's at the TC factory. It litterally was a matter of banging the finished units into a table, while listening to output signal.. :shock: I think the art was not to leave scratches and bends on the chassis'es..

Jakob E.

[quote author="gyraf"]I think the art was not to leave scratches and bends on the chassis'es..

Jakob E.[/quote]
Those units just went to the shops afterwards ? :shock:
I've heard of burn-in tests, but this table-banging seem to require another description :roll:

I've heard of people here within 'a certain European TV-brand' about testing of TV-sets, like throwing them off tables and other G-treatments etc.

All kind of images come to mind now, like Jakob first lovingly assembling a Gyratec X and then severly kicking it before it is put in the shipping carton...
:?

Anyone in the general environmental testing services business should have that capability. There are elaborate shaker tables and variable frequency drivers, as well as more direct recipes for drop tests etc. (flat sides and corners on so many sheets of bond papaer on a cement floor, etc.).

Harman does their own testing in well-equipped laboratories for the automotive products, but there should be outside service places in good-sized cities that do any significant manufacturing activity, especially automotive and aerospace.

[quote author="bcarso"]...There are elaborate shaker tables and variable frequency drivers...[/quote]
I've used these and they are invaluable for this sort of thing. Sort of expensive, though.

[quote author="Flatpicker"][quote author="bcarso"]...There are elaborate shaker tables and variable frequency drivers...[/quote]
I've used these and they are invaluable for this sort of thing. Sort of expensive, though.[/quote]

Oh yeah. Although as a DIY project... :razz:

Seriously, that's why one gets this done by outside labs. And of course they are pricey too, but they should at least know what they are doing.

Wasn't the Crown DC300 originally designed as a gernal purpose lab amp? I do recall buying one from a guy who told me it used to drive a shaker table.

... a BIG subwoofer. or maybe rather a fullrange speaker with a lot of bass...

Fasten the pcb on top of the speaker, then play Ace Of Spades by Motorhead at full volume through it :green:

Should do the job :grin:

Back