Erm, . . . . EF804s is EF806s with different pinouts?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

strangeandbouncy

I seem to remember somewhere in the distant past, someone telling me that the Telefunken EF804s and EF806s are one and the same, but with different pin-outs . . . . true or not, that is the question . . . I also recall the same person telling me that a Phillips E80F is also pretty much the same thing. Anyone able to confirm/dispel anysuch rumour? i am considering doing a certain pre that may or may not use an EF806, and as I have both E804s's and E80F's I was wondering if they will do da job or not, anf if so, what compromise I might be making?

Any insight would, as always, be very welcome!

:thumb: :thumb: :thumb: ANdyP

Hey Andy,

You're correct. Google "EF806" and read through the first result that pops up.

Peace,
Al.

Jens,

V76 - EF804s's . . . .

My attempt is of something British, using EF806 and E88CC, apparently shrouded in mystery, and all trace of the schemo vanished when somebody very cool from the early days left the building in a bit of a hurry. I seem to remember that the original proprietor for want of a better moniker, took a large amount of exception! - Do you get my drift? nudge nudge wink wink . . . .

Apparantly Cinemag CMMI-7C is the best for input, and output needs to 7:1 Anyone any suggestions? I have a spare V72 output tranny form a redundant u74 limiter. Anygood for this?

All the best,

ANdyP

Cool!

That would be just Fab! but are you Re(a)D-y?

Da, Na Na-Na-Naahh! - All you need is -

- a soldering iron! :green: :green: :green:

etc etc better stop before I get into hot water. Any real necessity for such paranoia? After all, IF and i repeat IF , I succesfully complete this mission, I would a) never have to repeat it, b) never sell it to anyone c) never be so dumb as to put THEIR name on it! THEY are not building gear, so what's the beef? I certainly would NOT want to upset them on any level!

ANdy-The-Paranoid-P

Oy! You boys!

Any more of that and I'll call the DIY police and they'll be in your lab in an instant!

DRUGCONTROL!
YOU GUYS HAVE HAD TOO MUCH SOLDERFUMES :!:

...I know you never inhealed it.......
:wink:

So I heared somebody say: use any 7:1 outputtranny? Hmmm, I´ll better take a deep look into my box of iron and my box of tubes and see what I can find there......

I had a talk with John on those transformers. He told me that they were made by some obscure factory in England somewhere. I do not remember the name of the company.

CJ, Hi! Are you sitting comfortably? OK! Now, -

R-E-L-A-X! - you are feeling very sleepy, now watch the pendulum, you are feeling very sleepy, sleep, you are somewhere very warm, and safe, you are feeling very sleepy, now try to remember the transformers, England, Sleepy. Warm. Transformers . . . . . .

- Pls?

do I win a prize for . . . . . first hypnosis over the web? :green:

ANdy-MwahHaHa!-I-HaveYou-In-MyPower- Oh, Bollocks, no I don't!-P

Hey, that almost worked!
I will try John again.

I have a custom cinemag input that went with John's pre, but I really do not want to unwind it.

CJ,

Thank you! any info would be most welcome. In the meantime, I shall start with the V72 output tranny i have knocking around.

Just in case you, or anyone else out there in DIY-LAnd happens to have the relevent documentation to hand, I wonder if perhaps I have spotted a mistake. On the page marked as

@@@@AMPLAYOUT,

valve 2 (E88CC) is marked as Pin 4 Heater, Pin 5 Heater, and Pin 9 as To Ground. With a 6.3V ac heater supply, is this correct? Surely it should be Pins 4+5 strapped together, and these to one side of Heater supply, and Pin 9 to the other? Otherwise only 3.15V across each heater filament. - Or is this some deliberate and Cunning Plan?

Kindest Regards,

ANdyP

[quote author="strangeandbouncy"]Surely it should be Pins 4+5 strapped together, and these to one side of Heater supply, and Pin 9 to the other?[/quote]

Sure - if you're trying to kill your heater supply! Pin 9 of 6DJ8 is a shield between the triodes and has no internal connection to anything. The 6.3V heater runs from pin 4 to pin 5.

Peace,
Al.

[quote author="CJ"]I have a custom cinemag input that went with John's pre, but I really do not want to unwind it.[/quote]

though it was redacted with all of his other posts, at one point i believe john said that cinemag now offers at least something similar to the custom input he spec-ed as the CMMI-7. so, if one were to want to build something along those lines, maybe a call to cinemag is in order. they list a 30k:600ohm line output that they say is available gapped as well.

ed

Back